Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and Benchmarks' started by sgtspector, Feb 5, 2016.

1. sgtspector

sgtspector

I haven't gamed in a while and was thinking of getting Fallout 4 for PC. I haven't played any of the Fallout series and I was wondering if it would be of any use to play the older titles before I play 4?

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at the latest version of "Doom" it looks awesome.

rwest likes this.
  3. sgtspector

sgtspector

Looks cool. I was a heavy "Doomer" back in the day. I don't care much for the multiplayer version but the campaigns may be worth the price.

4. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

I first started playing Doom twenty odd years ago, it was on an old Viglen machine running W95. I had a floppy labelled "Frontiers" which you booted the machine up with and then ran Doom from a CD.

5. David M

David M Techphile.

I have played all of the versions of Fallout. Each version takes at least a hundred hours plus. It's a game that never really ends. The versions of Fallout get progressively better and require more video processing power. My two 6990's in Crossfire at 2560 x 1600 are not good enough for Fallout 4...believe it or not.

I don't think I would start with the first version because it is going to seem too primitive but maybe start with Fallout: New Vegas and then go to Fallout 4. But knowing myself, I would start with the newest and I think the best version, Fallout 4.

It's not a continuous story line between versions, say from from Fallout 3 to Fallout 4 for example, so it really does not matter where you start in the series.

6. sgtspector

sgtspector

Good info Dave thanks. That's what i needed to know. Now i gotta search around and see if my hardware can handle it.

7. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

8. David M

David M Techphile.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Any reason you are going with the Poseidon instead of the STRIX edition, apart from the Poseidon having the plumbing available for watercooling?

10. sgtspector

sgtspector

Thanks JBC but I already checked the min requirements but that doesn't tell you how well it will run and if will it be as enjoyable with all the settings turned down. Dave's answer is more along the lines of what I need to find out. How well it will run with my hardware as it is currently without having to upgrade.

11. David M

David M Techphile.

The Poseidon is as fast as a Strix. It is a "P" (Platinum) series like the Strix meaning the GPU has been cherry picked for speed. One online review said it is 25% faster than a reference 980 plus you add another 10% with the water cooling and get a card that is 35% faster.

It would be nice to connect up my computer cases massive three fan radiator, "super cool" it and then clock the hell out of it...fun fun fun. The Poseidon card is what they call a hybrid card meaning it can cool on water, air or both.

I got away from water cooling for a number of years but the technology has changed (safer and more reliable now) and I would like to get back into it. I'm choosing to ignore what a pain in the arse it was at times. :D Using a tubing squeezer and putting towels everywhere helps when you have to disconnect tubing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  12. David M

David M Techphile.

Sgt, I will get back to you with the results of the Poseidon card. What resolution monitor are you talking there?

13. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Yeah, watercooling has come a long way. I really like the quick connect couplings that many reputable retailers are stocking these days. I was thinking of doing my next build as a watercooled setup.

14. sgtspector

sgtspector

23"
    Thx

15. David M

David M Techphile.

Would that would be a 1024 x 768 monitor? It is the number of pixels and not the physical size of a monitor that puts the load on a graphics card. :)

16. sgtspector

sgtspector

Right now I am running it at 1920 x 1080 on a Nvidia GeForce GT 720

17. David M

David M Techphile.

Ok...will let you know when I get the card. I can't imagine though that it will be any problem at that resolution even with all the games settings turned up all the way.

18. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

A GT 720 is not a gaming card - it's a good cheap general purpose card. If this is in the computer in your signature, you aren't even close to the minimum requirements, much less recommended requirements for Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 Minimum Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
    Free Disk Space: 30 GB

Fallout 4 Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
    Free Disk Space: 30 GB

19. David M

David M Techphile.

Yes, agreed, I was referring to the Asus Poseidon as having no problem running Fallout 4 at 60 FPS, 1080p and at full settings. I was having the impression that sgt knew his current card was not good enough and he was looking for an upgrade. I was incorrect.

20. David M

David M Techphile.

I just ran across that game in a box of old game CD's. I think I will reinstall it for sentimental reasons. Will be fun to see how fast it runs now! :)

Why doesn't Quote ever work? I was trying to quote post 2.