Fall Creators Update details emerge

Discussion in 'PCMech Articles and Discussion' started by Brad.w, May 16, 2017.

1. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

Microsoft details Fall Creators Update, but what about the everyday PC user? - PCMech

Does anyone else feel like Windows is leaving the "everyday user" behind as it continues its journey to modernize the OS? In my experience using Windows 10 the last two years, and having downloaded both the Anniversary and Creators Update, I feel like they're focusing more on "features" than improving the experience/UI for WIndows' core user base.

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

I have reached the point of not wanting to use Winblows any longer. My Linux machines do everything I need them to do and more. I also have an Apple laptop which is quite annoying at the best of times but it is still better than a Winblows machine. The only reason I still have a Winblows machine is so that I can keep an eye on Winblows in order to help my clients who use it.

Blaster3 likes this.
  3. robrpb

robrpb

I am still running Windows 7 Home, but Microsoft is making Linux more attractive to me in the future. I do have Windows 10 Home on a laptop so that I am familiar with it to help people, but I do not like that I do not have control over updates.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

This is why I now plan on running Windows 7 until I have to upgrade - which won't be till I want/need to run software that won't run on it. That's the only reason I upgraded from XP to 7, it certainly wasn't because M$ was no longer supporting it. I have Win 10 in a VM and I just don't like it.

Note that I even use Classic Shell with Windows 7 - I haven't liked the native interface since Windows 2000.

rjfvillarosa likes this.
  5. reggie14

reggie14

They are working on the UI, but that's going to take a while. And anything that actually changes the UI, as opposed to purely being cosmetic updates, tends to be rather controversial. XKCD Reference. (The start screen was poorly implemented, but a lot of people seem to still hate the ribbon in office, which I think is definitely an improvement once you get used to it.)

I agree they have some "basic" holes. It's almost mind-blowing that they still haven't reached feature-parity between the old control panel and the new one. That's not inherently a hard problem- they just have't put the time in.

I think they've reached a good place with the start menu. At least, it's not obvious to me what would be seen as an improvement to a majority of users. If you use Windows tablets, the start screen is great. Honestly, I like it much, much better than iOS or Android's interface for launching apps. The way they've incorporated it into the start menu is a bit weird, but I prefer to have to than not. It sounds like you have an idea for how you want to legacy portion of the start menu to work, but it's not obvious to me what that is.

My biggest problem with the start screen and metro apps back in the Windows 8 days is that you had a multitasking OS where people were accustomed having multiple application windows open a screen, and the start screen killed that. You had to break out of that to launch another app, first of all. And the new apps didn't fit into that model at all, since at that time they would only run full screen. Windows 10 fixed the second one using the obvious solution of letting modern apps run in windows. The start menu is a bit "frankensteiny" for me- its clearly a compromise between the old start menu and the new start screen.

And I still think mandatory software updates were (and are) a necessary evil.

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The classic control panel is still available, just type control panel in the search box.

I do not like the start menu, as I said I use the classic Windows 2000 start menu on Win 7. I don't even like the native XP start menu, much less the Win 7 start menu. If I had a touchscreen, then of course my attitude would be different.

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I run Classic Shell on Windows 10.