Failed Update

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by oryx, Jan 10, 2018.

1. oryx

oryx

I have an AMD Athlon II running Windows 7. The other day Windows Update tried to install KB4056892. After restarting, the system failed to boot because of the update. That is because the update itself is bad for my system. You can read about it here.

It gets worse: Microsoft’s Spectre-fixer wrecks some AMD PCs

Some sort of recovery process took over after the failed boot and eventually applied a restore point. I was able to recover. I blocked KB4056892 from showing. I have had Windows Update automatic updates off, so I decide when to apply them. Now I notice from my shut down button, that some kind of update is goring to be completed. I'm afraid it's going to be another attempt at this bad update. I'm afraid to restart my computer. What should I do?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Petef56 likes this.
  3. oryx

oryx

I tried the second part. There is no update to uninstall. If is listed as a failed update in update history. The first part of your reply is interesting, but none of them cancel this bad pending update. I assume it's the spectre patch. I can't remember trying to install any other updates since. If I can't back that out I don't know what to do. I think it means never applying system updates again. As a last resort I could trying restoring from a system backup. It's about a year old.

Can anyone think of anything else?

I'm not holding my breath for Microsoft to fix this. They have acknowledged the problem, but are blaming AMD!

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Actually, it MIGHT just be the regular Patch Tuesday updates. They showed up yesterday.

Before restarting your computer make a system restore point, just in case.

Microsoft is correct.

oryx likes this.
  5. oryx

oryx

I think I'll wait a bit and see if a patch materializes.