Equifax Security Breach

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jbc223456, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Haven't seen any threads regarding this recent turn of events that has a potential impact of 143 million US consumers.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/consumer-notice/

I would strongly suggest considering placing a fraud alert or freeze on your credit due to the nature of this breach, considering there are only 323 million US citizens, and a potential 143 million affected (about 45% of the US population).

2. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

credit freeze is the way to go. fraud alerts don't do any good.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

One should freeze their credit regardless. As far as those who have a credit record, it would be a higher percentage than that. Children and many others have no credit record.

Credit freezes are proactive. Fraud alerts are reactive. I will take the former over the latter any day.

4. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

i wouldnt resend my ssn to them, it'll just expose it again, besides, they're trying to get you to sign up for a 1 year 'protection' plan and then charge you for it... plays like a scam...

btw, spywaredr posted this yesterday morning in apple general forum

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  6. David M

David M Techphile.

A letter from Equifax will only tell you what you already know.

Why give the blackhats more time to use your information against you?

Imagine how much money the hackers are going to make selling this information to the thousands of legal entities that pay for this kind of information.

It's legal to do this. Unethical, but legal. And nobody seems to care, which blows me away.

I bet if a list of the most private information of all of the politicians were released to the public then something might change.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    quartet-man likes this.
  7. sdkfz

sdkfz

I love the year of credit monitoring - when again does your SSN an DOB change?

8. David M

David M Techphile.

What? :)

9. Bob338

Bob338

I've had a credit lock on my account since I had a bit of a scare last March. I had a conversation here about that. I checked my accounts again when this came out. The ONLY effort for credit listed on any of the three services was the one that caused concern in the Spring. The had my SS number. My biggest concern is that the information may still be out there and 'put away' for a much later time after I get 'comfortable', which I never am.

Through all this I did everything recommended, including reporting to state agencies. I never even got an acknowledgement from a single one though I indicated knowing the source of the original problem where the SS number was obtained.

10. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Nope, it's 1 year free. Then it will cost to renew.

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

like blaster said... they wont give the 1 year freebie until they verify you were effected, that means you need to submit your ssn to them first... then you roped into paying after 12 months

12. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Not so, according to Equifax's page:
    https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

13. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

At approximately 73.6 million people in the US under the age of 18, that leaves us with 249.4 million people ages 18 and older (when you would assume they begin their credit history). That leaves 57% of US citizens who have potentially had their data stolen.

14. Blaster3

Blaster3

15. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

That has been changed.

16. David M

David M Techphile.

The three credit agencies Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax hate credit freezes because they do not make money when peoples credit is checked. Did you notice that Equifax is not offering a free credit freeze?....just useless near worthless credit monitoring?

17. edfair

edfair

Steve's question:
    "I wonder if we can trust this?"

Several places I've visited have reported that fake names and numbers have resulted in confirmation that the data has been impacted. Think one of them was Trump 123456 although that could possibly be valid.

In any case, as a precaution I did a free credit check over the weekend and only Transunion gave me a report. Seems it has only been 10 months since the last ones.

18. Bob338

Bob338

Of all the credit bureau's, the only one that seems to me to be run properly is Experian. I've been checking all mine since my little attempted theft last Spring, and the only request for credit for me in the last 4 years was that theft effort through Experian. No other requests to the others. I have three credit cards, all long term, one over 30 years, zero'd monthly. I don't expect to apply for credit for anything so locking mine certainly won't create a hassle.

19. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I've had many of my Chase credit cards hacked in past few years and they always called me seeing "suspicious activity" and locked the accounts. A laptop bought in Anaheim, California, the resulting attempt for a cab in Tokyo that was rejected for unusual activity prompting the call. The many small purchases on the Net on another card they caught, the 2 calls from the jail in San Antonio on a Saturday night and as we were talking about all this another attempt in San Francisco using an Uber, same damn account #. Unbelievable. and makes you feel so vulnerable. My Citi card had someone charge $2000 to a non-existent place in Detroit. I've come to accept there is no safe zone and since I'm not going to be applying for a 30 year mortgage or new car, maybe I shouldn't care ??

20. David M

David M Techphile.

You should care if somone is granted credit under your name.....which a credit monitoring agency cannot prevent. The best they can do is to chase the cow after it has been let out of the barn. A credit freeze keeps the barn securely locked.