Drupal vs Wordpress

Discussion in 'Web Design / Development / Programming' started by dirty elf, Jan 21, 2017.

1. dirty elf

dirty elf

Hello,

I am interested in putting together a website and have been looking into different CMS options. The website doesn't need to be super complex and will generally be an information site.

I seem to continually run across Drupal and Wordpress as the major players.

Are there any others or any tutorials anyone can link me to?

Thanks!

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

3. auen1

auen1

I've played with WordPress a little and thought it was pretty easy to set up.
    Your web server may have web builder options included in the costs.
    Mine did and it was easy to install.

For tutorials, I use Lynda.com often.
    I usually only subscribe for a month or 2 at a time.
    I record the classes for future reference.

10 day free trial
    $19.99/mo.

WordPress - Online Courses, Classes, Training, Tutorials on Lynda

Drupal - Lynda

Youtube search also has a bunch of hits.
    lynda.com wordpress - YouTube

4. dirty elf

dirty elf

thanks for the links, ive been poking around on youtube quite a bit

5. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

For what it's worth, I'll just throw another option out to you. If the site doesn't need to be complex, code it yourself. HTML and basic CSS are not complicated, free tutorials and code samples abound, and if you're reading a site like this, you may enjoy the pleasure of building a site yourself. More advanced CSS and JS can get complicated, and mobile has also made things more annoying, but a basic website is easy.

An advantage of the CMS stuff is it's all done, or most of it's done for you obviously. A developer was telling me he just loved Wordpress. They installed a bundle of something for the development team and he was just raving about it. He said over and over how feature rich and quick it was to get going, "Everything's already done!" he said, over and over.

I'll give you a downside. We're not large enough to warrant a dedicated server, so we share server space with other websites. In the last couple of years, several have been hacked. And they have been hacked through things like outdated or misconfigured Wordpress stuff apparently. Popularity makes it an attractive target; an automated exploit tool makes sense if the target population is large. When I read the server logs for our site, there are a lot of scans for Wordpress. A blogger friend, who's a C-level tech exec by day, had her blog hacked through an exploit. She and her programmer husband were stuck in a long-running battle with the hacker afterwards. Here's a comment from one of our hosting admins: "If you are going to use Wordpress, it's critical you keep it updated, otherwise you will get hacked."

6. dirty elf

dirty elf

Thanks very much for the insight. I would love to take the time to code it from scratch, unfortunately the business needs dictate that it is done in a timely manner. I've been using Wordpress with the Divi theme and have been having great results so far. It appears to offer the ability to insert custom code snippets down the road so if I do want to hammer out some custom code I can seamlessly work it into my current site.

When it goes live I'll share it here!

7. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

I don't use Wordpress so I don't know what's available or even standard, but see if you can enable or get something that will regularly write out a complete backup of the site you can archive locally. I think that was why/where she got trapped, why she had so much trouble for so long after being hacked. They weren't prepared for being hacked, and then didn't have or couldn't recover critical parts of the site after they were. And the hacker had written in whack-a-mole backdoors. They'd find and patch one, then discover the hacker was still active through another.

8. dirty elf

dirty elf

Really appreciate the advice, I'll be sure to keep everything backed up and secure.

9. Ashanti Esteves

Ashanti Esteves

I'm more familiar with wordpress rather than a drupal . It's much easier to use for me.

10. dirty elf

dirty elf

Yeah I've been doing well with wordpress and the divi builder. Can't comment on drupal because I haven't used it.

11. venting

venting

yeah i also think there's just much more support for wordpress out there

12. boyfrenship91

boyfrenship91

I'm more acquainted with wordpress as opposed to a drupal . It's significantly less demanding to use for me.

13. Tommy Larsen

Tommy Larsen

Was taught both Drupal and Wordpress while still attending University. My initial thought was that Wordpress suited my needs more, if I wanted to be a blogger, while Drupal might suit people, who are looking to building a larger site.
    I would suggest that you thought of your websites needs and from there look towards one or the other. If the above is not sufficient, I would do a quick Google search for "Drupal VS Wordpress" that would grant you enough results to get you started. Happy reading :)

14. tomster2300

tomster2300 I like monkeys

Professional web developer here. If you want something simple and easy to manage with little coding knowledge, go with Wordpress. Buy a theme that you like and call it a day. The Wordpress community is built around aesthetically pleasing themes and plugins to provide plug and play functionality that require little to no technical expertise to use.

Drupal is a whole other rabbit hole that you don't want to go down unless you're interested in learning web development.

lisabrown69 likes this.