Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by duke-one, Sep 18, 2017.

1. reggie14

reggie14

I'm not sure what channels you want, but you could consider getting something like DirecTV Now or Hulu Live TV. Those would get you a decent cable package for $35+/month, although local channels are very hit-or-miss. It looks like Hulu carriers your local ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox affiliates.

2. sdkfz

sdkfz

Hah! I listen to that channel occasionally- I stream it here in MN - folks pretty much listen to that channel exclusively.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

Yes, my DirectTV bill is now $113 per month. This is ridiculous for TV when there are so many other less expensive options now. I am considering a Hulu box. Clarke Howard says this is the best of the best less expensive options and I trust the guys opinions.

Does anyone know if any of the less expensive options record and do a 30 second skip, so one does not have to watch all those commercials? I just cant watch TV and watch all the commercials. I'm also wondering if one can be "hacked" and a 2 terabyte HD installed. I did that with my DirecTV recorder. Don't care about local news. Not into hearing about crime and traffic deaths near me. The big alphabet networks (ABC, CBS etc) don't have much that I watch. The smaller cable netwotks like Velocity and Nat Geo, yes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  4. duke-one

duke-one

"Not into hearing about crime and traffic deaths near me. The big alphabet networks (ABC, CBS etc) don't have much that I watch. The smaller cable netwotks like Velocity and Nat Geo, yes."
    Agree! Can't understand watching local crime, crashes or fires. Funny angle on that; I'm close enough to the park in downtown Berkeley that I can hear the riots. Also when many helicopters are hovering about I know some nonsense is going on.

5. reggie14

reggie14

One thing you need to understand is that there are no "Hulu boxes." Instead, you get a compatible streamer, like a Roku, that has the Hulu TV app. Shows aren't recorded locally, like on a TiVo or traditional DVR, instead you're streaming "recordings" over the Internet, too. And my guess is these aren't recordings in the traditional sense- they probably just keep a copy of everything anyone asked to record, and then stream it back when requested. In many cases, if you go back to watch a recorded show, you're not seeing the show as it aired on TV. Instead, you're seeing the on-demand version provided by the network. This lets them swap out the original commercials for new ones.

If you want to skip commercials on Hulu Live TV, then you need the Enhanced Cloud DVR option ($40 base + $15 option=$55/month). That lets you skip commercials and give you 250 hours of recording space. Otherwise, skipping commercials is a bit wonky. Basically, you might be able to fast forward through recorded TV, but if the provider has swapped out your recording for an on-demand version (which you have no control over), then they'll probably restrict fast-forwarding.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

Thanks Reggie. I don't care much for the idea of waiting for a show to download off the internet. It reminds me of Netflix which I cancelled because it did not have the content that I wanted and it was not already loaded onto my DVR. The possibility of there also being no 30 second skip button is also a no-go with me. I am spoiled never having to watch a butt load of commercials every 8 minutes or so. I need to look more at the Roku.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  7. reggie14

reggie14

Just to be clear, you don't download shows with these services. You simply stream them, just like Netflix. Playback should start pretty quickly, although it often does take a few seconds to buffer the video initially.

And Roku isn't a service. It's simply a box that you hook up to your TV that let's you run apps that connect to services. So, it will run Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and a handful of other channels and services from cable TV networks and other sources. There's relatively little that you can get for free. You must pay for most of these services, either by subscribing to them directly (e.g., Netflix, Hulu) or getting access through your cable TV provider.

I'm spoiled about commercials, too. I still run special DVR software on my computer that automatically detects and skips commercials. It's a bit of a pain to manage, but the features are great when it works. But it's getting harder and harder to use this software with cable TV, and I fully expect a day when TV content will be locked down with DRM and we won't be able to FF through commercials.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

must admit, when i first saw the thread title i thought it was something about maternity... turns out, i was correct... o_O