Current Kindle recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Smartphones, & Mobile Devices' started by Bob338, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bob338

Bob338

On a plane the other day I sat next to a lady with a Kindle, my very first exposure. I want to buy one but thought I might ask for any current recommendations here. There were a couple of old ones for the Paperwhite but what the lady had was a Fire. Have no idea what content is available. I'm not a fiction reader but read voraciously on history and science. I'm presuming that type of reading matter is available. Intend to buy on the Amazon Prime sale day next Monday.

Any ideas? Negatives?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you want black type on a white background, get the Paperwhite, Voyage, or Oasis. You can get them wifi-only or wifi + 3G cellular. No additional data charges for 3G.

Amazon.com: Kindle E-readers: Amazon Devices & Accessories

If you get the Paperwhite or Voyage, get the Amazon cover for it. It has a magnetic catch that puts it to sleep when you close the cover and wakes it back up when you open it.

Amazon.com: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations: Kindle Store
    Amazon.com: Amazon Kindle Voyage Leather Origami Case, Black: Kindle Store

If you want color, you might as well just get the Kindle app for a tablet. The Fire is essentially a tablet. I do not like reading on a tablet, the black on white is much easier on the eyes. I have a 1st generation Paperwhite. There are millions of books available for Kindle, also periodical subscriptions.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b?ie=UTF8&node=154606011

If you have a library card, you can also borrow Kindle books.

Home - Northern California Digital Library

3. Bob338

Bob338

WOW! THANK YOU!!!

Exactly what I needed! I'll do a bit of reading and likely go with the Voyage with the 3G, though not sure why on that 3G. Don't want color and will go on your recommendations. Black/white more conventional for me. The lady on the plane had the Fire and sung its praises.

Thanks a bunch!! There's a pre sale sale right now so could do that later today. I'll post the end result.

4. glc

You can also pay extra to eliminate the ads, but they are not obnoxious. They only appear on the screen saver and at the bottom of the home screen. The ads are primarily for books you may be interested in.

Here's a cheaper case for the Voyage, it's not leather like the first one I linked:

Amazon.com: Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black: Kindle Store

Note that the 3G version is a LOT more expensive than the wifi only version - it didn't used to be that way. It uses the AT&T network. If you have wifi at home and wherever you visit, it doesn't make sense to get 3G.

5. Bob338

Bob338

Thanks! I was just about to post as to my conclusions. I can pay later if the ads bother me. I've been reading and just about concluded the 3G wasn't necessary for me for the price. Their current sale price is without the 3G. I misunderstood that it might be used as a smart phone for carrying airline boarding pass info, but as I understand it that is just for connection to Amazon to download books. I can put boarding passes on the Kindle via computer I understand. I'll have my computer while traveling and should I need one I can get the passes via computer or from the home wifi and maybe do it that way. Last trip last week I was on 10 different flights, 5 in each of two days, and all that paper got to me! This is low on the list of my intended use. Just a bonus maybe. I like the original case you recommended because it can be propped up and leather is nicer. I have it in my cart now and I prefer the leather. There's a Prime special today on the Voyager that expires after my bedtime so I think I'll order the Voyager, wifi only, and the leather case. I have all sorts of chargers and a laptop so I see no need for another charger. Consider it a done deal! And THANK YOU again!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. glc

Charging is standard micro USB.

If a boarding pass is a PDF, you should be able to open it, but it will only display in portrait mode. You can direct connect with USB, or you can e-mail it to your Kindle. When you register it, it will have an email address @kindle.com.

7. Bob338

Bob338

Have varying forms of USB adapters with at least 2 types mini USB connectors on the other end. They also have them for mice and keyboards so I'm sure some of the connectors work. I carry a couple with me when traveling, for my own flip phone and there's one in one of my cars that's a mini. They now have those small icon codes for boarding passes about the size of a big thumbprint so orientation shouldn't be an issue. Not sure I'll ever have to board that many flights in two days again. It was an unusual circumstance but I usually have at least 4 for a round trip, more if I have to change planes at hubs, but never 5 flights in two days through 3 hubs, and doing it in reverse a few days later! Too old for that anymore! Just got my library card locally, applied online and have to show ID and bill to prove residence when I pick up card at library about a mile from me. Great reviews on it also! May see what kind of stuff in print they have to suit my interests. Not too many ebooks locally that grabbed me but Amazon has a couple right off the bat! One favorite historian wrote another on Apaches, a real favorite for me! Guy named Hutton whom I've met.

Edit: Pulled the trigger! Should have end of week!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. glc

The Kindle comes with a USB cable, all you need is a wall wart with a standard USB jack. You can also charge it with a computer.

Bob338 likes this.
  9. David M

David M Techphile.

Let us know how you like it

10. Blaster3

Blaster3

i can see this happening... o_O

upload_2017-7-12_15-35-38.png

quartet-man likes this.
  11. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I bought a Paperwhite on the prime day myself and got it yesterday. I also ordered Amazon.com: Fintie Folio Case for Kindle Paperwhite - The Book Style PU Leather Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (Fits All Versions with 6" Display and Built-in Light), Black: Kindle Store , but perhaps I will exchange it for the one George linked. I am going to have to bite the bullet and switch to wireless here at home (for this and at least two other reasons), but have access to it at work. Is there a way to get the books on the Kindle using the computer at the moment?
    EDIT Download to computer and save in the documents file on the Kindle? It looks like I need to set it up using wifi first anyhow, so I might have to do that at work before proceeding, but not sure.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  12. Blaster3

Blaster3

you don't have to switch to wireless, keep your pc hard wired and add a wireless router/extender thingy for the devices

13. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I currently have DSL. The modem they gave me DOES have wireless ability in it (my old modem bit the dust and the AT&T guy gave me one off of the truck). So, would I be able to activate the wireless in that router using the DSL signal?

14. Blaster3

Blaster3

not that i like all-in-ones from an isp, but the modem/router combo should suffice, although i'd prefer separate modem & a router of my choosing

15. glc

You can download your Kindle books to your computer, then connect the Kindle with USB and transfer the books.

Yes, if the DSL modem/router has wireless capability you can set that up.

quartet-man likes this.
  16. vickay

vickay

Does anyone know the maximum number of Kindle books amazon allows you to return? Someone was telling me that they know someone who would buy kindle books...download and then claim a refund afterwards because he "was no longer interested". Apparently amazon caught up, and he isn't allowed to order a specific number of books per year etc. Good heavens, i know people are trying to be creative and everything, but this is just downright incredible! I laughed but at the same time i was in shock. Anyone else with a similar story?

17. Blaster3

Blaster3

don't think they have a set #, rather they profile your activity and make a judgement call... little known about amazon is that they keep dossiers on every visitor/member to their sites and affiliates...
    for reference... Want to get banned from shopping at Amazon? Do this within the article is a link to "10 things amazon won't tell you", although 5 years old, it is interesting...
    if you plan on becoming an affiliate you'll want to read this... 16 Reasons Why Amazon Ban Affiliate Marketers & How To Stay Safe - Passive Journal

vickay likes this.
  18. vickay

vickay

Hmm interesting. I guess this would apply not just to kindle books but to all items as well. Meaning that if you always opened items, used them.. and then returned them within 45 days then, they would most likely not have your Amazon searches filled with discounts..or sales? I still think its sought of not nice to do stuff like that but oh well..we can't change other people's habits and beliefs.

19. David M

David M Techphile.

It's not illegal but it certainly is unethical. It drives up prices for everyone else because it costs vendors money to process those returns.