csc.exe application error

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by mike12, Mar 17, 2017.

1. mike12

mike12

The last 5 days or so when I shut down my Windows 10 computer I get this message. CSC.EXE APPLICATION ERROR. THE APPLICATION WAS NOT ABLE TO START CORRECTLY (0XC0000142). CLICK OK TO CLOSE THE APPLICATION . I do not have to click OK, as the computer does shutdown in a second or two. I Googled this error and some people said it had to do with a program called BITMETER. One guy said he installed the program. deleted it, and his problem went away. I tried that, no luck. Another said to look for csc.exe in TaskManager, and Processes. I looked there, not there. There was also some relation to Auto cad programs etc. I do not have any auto cad programs on this computer. Suggestions please, Mike

2. bob

bob

You could search the entire HD for CSC.EXE and have a place to start.

Also in task manager you search details to get every running program. You can sort that by name with one click

3. mike12

mike12

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. I did not search the entire HD for csc.exe, but I thought that if I typed it in the ASK ME ANYTHING box, it would find it. Nope, nothing. I did open Task Manager, and I searched Processes, Application History, Start up, Details, and Services. I jusat clicked at the top of each column, and it sorted everything alphabetically. csc.exe was not found.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

That's the Visual C# compiler. It's used by the .NET Framework. There may be an issue with your .NET installation or you installed some program that uses it that isn't playing nice.

5. mike12

mike12

Thanks glc for the info. Any suggestions on how to fix it ? Mike

6. glc

See if you can find a tool that will diagnose and repair .NET that's compatible with Windows 10. I don't think Microsoft has one yet.

7. mike12

mike12

How about this one
    Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

8. glc

9. bob

bob

I found this:
    There is another version 4.6.2 out there

10. glc

11. mike12

mike12

I checked the registry. I have #394802 which is .NET Framework 4.6.2 (Windows 10 Anniversary Update). Does this mean anything to anyone ? Looks like I have the latest version ??

12. bob

bob

Why not install the 1 since 2 is not working well?

13. glc

I don't know if you can uninstall 4.6.2, but the fact remains you have a .NET issue.

14. bob

bob

I (personally) would cheek for windows updates first. Next try would be to use win 10 repair. Next step is to disable every program that runs at startup and test each one.
    Last step reinstall over the top.

15. mike12

mike12

I tried installing 4.6.1 but was told it would not install since there was a later version already installed.

16. bob

bob

My other ideas or the last known good configuration restore point.

17. mike12

mike12

Bob, I disabled the remaining 13 items that were enabled in Task Manager. Then I shutdown the computer. No error message, so I think you found the problem. I will enable a program or two at a time, and see what happens. Many thanks, Mike

18. mike12

mike12

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. As you can read above in post #17, I disabled all the remaining items. When I shut down the computer, it went fine. NO error message about that csc.exe error. Thanks, Mike