Craigslist interests me at times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxKRazykidxX, Aug 29, 2011.

1. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

So, I'm bored and surfing Craigslist for deals on BMX Bikes, Computers, MIDI Controllers, and just other random stuff. Not looking to buy anything, just searching around to see if anything remotely interests me. Ran across a few gaming rigs, they worth asking price? Just curious, and I mean, obviously I can go look up part prices, but I mean... is what's inside that case worth it.

AMD Gaming Rig!

A Mac
    ^Not gaming rig of course, but how old is that thing to only have 512mb ram?

Sony Vaio
    ^I wonder if he know's how inexpensive batteries are. I mean, I'd prefer to buy a new battery then sell at that price.

Old rig maybe?

Isn't that retail price?

Anyways, sorry if this is a bad spot for an area like this. But really, some make me wonder, but I am curious about that first computer. Not saying I'd go and buy it, if it's worth it, but I mean, because of how inexperienced I am, it sounds like a good deal. Waiting to here how wrong I am.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The "custom" Dell 3000 is a Frankenstein - I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

The AMD gaming rig is FAR from "awesome" - all those components can be bought brand new from Newegg for $730, and the quality of several of those components is questionable.

3. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon!

You're better off buying retail parts unless it's a specialty or obsolete item you can't get elsewhere.

4. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I think it meant "aww some people might buy this hype and take this off of my hands" ;)

5. David M

David M Techphile.

The personal section of CraigsList can be a hoot. There are some true wack jobs and periodically a seemingly normal intelligent person in the Personals under Rants and Raves and Discussion Forums.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. rwest

rwest

I've used craigslist for some parts. If your looking for an individual part, like say a vid card or ram, you can run across a few that may be worth what's being asked. But very few, you have to be extremely careful.

I have never seen a pc that's worth its weight advertised on Craigslist. Most are people trying to get more out of an older system than what it's worth, or it's a bit newer and is being asked too much for, because they need the cash more than the pc. Usualy these machines are just under retail. Might as well buy new.

Other than that there's a few older parts that you may find dirt cheap if you need 'em. I sold my Northwood for $10 bucks.

Craiglsist is an internet yard sale. There are good deals, but be careful, there's more junk than good buys. Insist on seeing and testing any product. And be sure to meet in a public place! I scare off about 2 -3 people a year because I'm careful.

7. jdeb

jdeb

I look pretty much every day and there is rarely any good deals on electronic stuff. I sell all my old or recycled PC's on it and I give them a deal because it goes to the recycle center in two weeks if not sold. I sell working Pentium 4's for 35.00, 775's for 50.00, etc. All I do is clean them up, and do an image restore. I spend about 20 minutes on them physically. Most people do not even know you can pick up an off lease IBM or Dell for 99.00 or less any day of the week.

8. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

Only one I was really questioning was that AMD rig.

The rest, I shared just because I found them to be funny. And by Questioning, it's more like... Would anyone with a real brain buy that. XD I surf CL just for giggles. and simetimes I do see things that are questionable.

Reminds me, I'm still on the hunt for a working thinkbook. I think that's what it's called. We used to call them tough books. You could pour anything on those computers and they'll still work with no problem. I mean, like you guys said, chances on CL is pretty rough, because I know how these people are. They try to cheat you out, and rig stuff to work till after a week of you owning it. -.- I try to avoid buying from CL. I never have intentions, just look for laughs as said. But sometimes I run across a questionable deal, or even a good deal. Sometimes is more like rare though.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. glc

You mean a Panasonic Toughbook? An IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad is just an excellent business-grade laptop, similar to a Dell Latitude.

10. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

Yes, the IBM one is the one I'm talking about. I've always wanted one to test how strong it really is. Then again, if I ever get a laptop for on the go... since my desktop is not portible. I think I'd go for something more up to date. lol. Just a random thought that I wanted a thinkpad, i guess.

11. glc

A Think pad is not indestructible, it's just a very reliable laptop. The Toughbooks are ruggedized. If you want a Thinkpad, I recommend the T-series.

12. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

Hmmm... Maybe it is a tough book. I can't remember anymore. XD I just know it's the one laptop that can withstand a good spill. Talking full cup of water. Of course sticky drinks will make your keyboard sticky, but I was impressed when my buddy was telling me about those laptops. Just was not impressed with the hardware inside. -.- I hear they're pretty out of date. If I ever actually decide to push past wanting, and it turns into getting. I shall remember T-series. :D This thread is going off topic. Lol. Eh, it's kinda dead now anyways. I will laugh if while trolling on CL later, I find a thinkpad. Even if it's broken, just the fact that I've not seen 1 all week, and me remembering I've always wanted one to see how strong it really is. One will pop up.

13. glc

I bought a whole Thinkpad T20 on Ebay for 45 bucks last year. It's ancient, but I used it for parts to fix the T20 I already had - after 10 years, the screen finally died. I use it in my truck for a GPS and media player.

It's the Toughbook that you need to resist spills.

14. jdeb

jdeb

15. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

They have thinkpad's with I3's now?

16. glc

i5's and i7's too.

17. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

Speaking of craigslist.

Check any other area (Joplin MO for example) on there under services-computers. No problems.

18. XxKRazykidxX

XxKRazykidxX

Well, whenever I my desktop, plus 2 more on the way(Getting mine 1st fully built before i move onto my next project.) I'll be looking for a tough laptop for djing, and if they got that good of processors(Traktor isn't a program with that low of requirements) then I'll definitely look into think books. :D

19. glc

I just rebuilt a Dell Inspiron 1525 for my son-in-law to DJ with. I got it for nothing with a dead motherboard.

20. jdeb

jdeb

Those are so easy to work on