Caution: W10 Creators Update releases Tuesday, April 11

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by tmathews, Apr 10, 2017.

1. tmathews

tmathews

[Disclaimer: I grabbed a (prerelease) copy on 4/9/17 and tried one installation on one machine. Your hardware and/or patch level may vary.]

If you run W10 and have the chance, you might want to try the new "Creators Update" (version 1703) in a controlled situation before Microsoft automatically installs it for you. I'd suggest doing a full backup (that you've verified you can restore!) then upgrading and seeing what tries to bite you.

I did a "Save Nothing" upgrade install on a W7 machine I was going to wipe anyway. Overall, the process went well: about 15 minutes from a USB flash drive. Then the shouting started...

The installer now reads the setup information to you. This is probably a good call for the visually impaired, but on a fresh install with the default audio driver and default volume it's awfully loud. And the Mute button they provide on the screen didn't work. I was at least able to shut it up with the laptop's own Mute button. After that, I was able to proceed through the setup dialogs in blissful silence.

With W10 now in place, I went through a couple of download/install/reboot/repeat Windows Update cycles until I got the "Your system is up to date" message. At that point, I went to shut the machine down but it rebooted and came back up. I unchecked "Automatically restart on error" but again Shut Down just rebooted. Hitting the power button just put it into Sleep mode. I ended up holding the power button to force the machine off. That worked. I haven't fiddled with it further yet.

The moral: the Creators Update is coming starting April 11, ready or not. I'd recommend doing backups now in case Microsoft doesn't have all the bugs worked out by tomorrow.

2. SpencerC

SpencerC

Outside of the restart bug, have you encountered anything else? I have the defer update option ticked so I shouldn't have my main box updating tomorrow (but hey, this is Microsoft, they could update me anyways).

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'm on the Insider fast track and haven't had any issues with it. Looks a lot better than it was.

4. tmathews

tmathews

The one install is all I've done with it so far. I don't see any mention of my restart problem online so it's not common if there are other instances than mine. I'll try an update on another machine without doing the clean install and see if that makes a difference. For the machine I've already upgraded, I'll try a wipe and clean install. I'll report any other issues I find.

I mostly wanted to spread the word that the update was coming and it may not be painless. If others run into issues, please share here so we know what to expect. Thanks!

5. Bob338

Bob338

I just installed mine. When I downloaded to the 'Download' file I found that it had already been downloaded March 31!! Anyway, I installed the newest and had no problems. Pretty smooth and easy, just took a little while. Didn't time it but about 15 minutes sounds about right.

6. robrpb

robrpb

I installed the update several days ago without any problems.

7. tmathews

tmathews

I did an update on another W10 machine and it went fine: shutdown works, Cortana didn't yell at me, just had to go through the settings and turn off all the invasive options again.

I did a clean install on the machine I'd had trouble with before and got the same behavior: shutdown just restarts. I was hoping it was something about the W7->W10 upgrade or maybe just a corrupted install, but nope. Incidentally, I also upgraded the memory and after 13+ hours of memtest86+ I was able to turn it off normally so it's a Windows issue, not hardware. (This is a Dell Studio 1558 with the latest BIOS, if that matters.)

Has anyone else tried a clean install with the Creators Update yet? So far I'm guessing upgrade installs go okay but clean installs have the problem.

8. SpencerC

SpencerC

I can't get the update to install through the Windows 10 Update Assistant. The updating process goes fine until it hits 91% and then the updating stalls....

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you are overclocking, return all settings to stock while doing the update.

10. SpencerC

SpencerC

Nope, no overclocking. Doing this update on a locked i5.

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

12. Bob338

Bob338

I downloaded mine on the 10th, as posted above. Used for two days without problem. On the 12th my hibernating machine had shut down all the open programs overnight. Checked updates and Microsoft had 'updated' further and changed all the settings. Just a bit distressing. Quite a few changes in the OS must have been made judging from the junk cleaned out by Ccleaner. No problems in the operation since and really none before.

13. tmathews

tmathews

I downloaded the released 64-bit .iso (before I was using a prerelease version downloaded by the media creator) and tried another clean install on the same machine. Now the mute button works but the machine still doesn't shut down. I tried Safe Mode, shutdown /s /t 0, and Hibernate: all just end up rebooting. Oh, and now it claims W10 isn't activated. I'll check again later to see if this was just an activation server glitch. I didn't make any hardware changes, let alone any that would affect activation.

I started a clean install on another machine to see if it turned out different there but got too tired and killed it before it completed. I'll try again over the weekend.

14. tmathews

tmathews

I played around with this a little more over the weekend. Still no go on clean installs.

On the first machine I tried (Dell Studio 1558), activation is still broken. Running the Activation Troubleshooter, it tells me it found a digital license for the system but it's good for W10Pro. Since this is W10Pro, something is broken there.

On a second machine (Dell Inspiron 1520 -- the one that shut down properly after the 1607->1703 update), a clean install runs past the "Installing devices" message to a spinning circle and sticks there. I let it run for hours and it never progressed past that point. A second attempt yielded identical results.

Next up, I'll try re-clean-installing the Anniversary Update 1607 and updating with the Creators Update 1703 and see if that works. Since I get different symptoms on different (old) machines, I suspect there's some driver install issue. Perhaps the earlier upgrade on the Inspiron 1520 succeeded because it already had the necessary drivers in place...

15. SpencerC

SpencerC

I used the activation troubleshooter as well on my install and after it did its magic my install upgraded just fine to the 1703 update.

16. tmathews

tmathews

I tried clean-installing W10Pro Anniversary Update 1607 on both machines and this seems to have gone fine, with both coming up activated (although I didn't test shutdown at that point). I then launched the Creators Update 1703 from within 1607. On both machines, the update ran to completion.

But neither works properly. I had the i1520 cabled into the network and after the update it was unable to connect. It looks like it's trying to use only IPv6, which I don't have enabled on our network for security reasons. Pulling the plug, I'm not able to configure the WiFi: the Adapter Properties dialog hangs. And it reboots rather than restarting. The s1558 now shows up as activated and able to connect wirelessly but again reboots rather than shutting down.

My troubles may be due to a massive update inadequately tested on older hardware. If so, I expect people will get upset and Microsoft will start rolling out fixes as they collect more telemetry from older systems (if they can get on the Internet at all). I'll play with it a bit more, but for now I'm going to say the Creators Update isn't ready for our systems and turn off automatic updates until it's working better. W10 had been so nice until now...

17. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

I wasn't aware the update was coming, so that's really useful to know. Thanks for the heads up.

18. Bob338

Bob338

I had forgotten about the updates. I've been operating as before, nothing worse, nothing better. I see no advantage nor improvement with all the enhancements, at least for me. And no problems. Not worth the concerns. It's probably best for folks that have all the 'smart' devices that work in tandem with the upgrades. Nothing for me.

19. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

My only complaint with W10 Cretins Update is that it always displays my language choice in the task bar, regardless of how many times I switch off the "Input Method" in Task bar settings it comes back on reboot. It also reset my preferred language to that "Pidgin English" they speak on the other side of the pond, which meant I had to download true English and set it as my preferred language, no problem but it was English English before the update so why change it?

Blaster3 likes this.
  20. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Sorted...
    For some reason when the W10 Cretins update was done it installed two separate copies of the US version of English, I then installed the correct version of English as well. The reason it was constantly displaying my language choice was because there was more than one choice of language available in the system files. It took a bit of digging around but as soon as I uninstalled the two copies of US English the problem went away....:)