Can I run Linux on my old Toshiba laptop.

Discussion in 'Linux OS and Software Assistance' started by Kenneth John, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Kenneth John

Kenneth John

Hi,
    I am new to the Linux world so I thought I'd start here. I have an old Toshiba (purchased in 2/2005) that is running Vista 32 bit. It's slow and, of course, not supported. Before trashing the machine, I'd like to try installing a version of Linux to see if I can salvage the laptop. There are no mechanical issues with the laptop and it has not been used much over the years. Here is a link to the specs for my laptop, model A215-S5802:
    Satellite A215-S5802 Detailed Specs
    I have an older Intel SSD (120 GB, 33o series) that I would love to install in this laptop too.

I know there are several versions of Linux but have no idea if any of them will run well on my Toshiba laptop. I hope that the readers of this forum can help me determine this.
    Thanks for any assistance you may offer.

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

It's all down to personal taste and requirements, I particularly like Mint and have installed on one of my desktops and one of my laptops.
    This site gives you a little info about some of the more common distros and from there you can search hardware requirements.
    How To Choose The Best Linux Distro For Your Needs

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

4. Kenneth John

Kenneth John

Thanks for the feedback. I might add that the only thing I want to do with this old laptop is give it to my wife so she can stream some exercise videos in her basement "salon". It gets good wireless reception down there.

5. rjfvillarosa

What source will she be using for the video streaming?

6. Kenneth John

Kenneth John

She goes to a website and runs the videos from there. I may have used "streaming" incorrectly here. She is just going to be playing videos from a website.

7. rjfvillarosa

Linux uses Firefox for a web browser which will display the videos easily. I can't see her having any problems.

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You can also install a different browser if you prefer.

9. Kenneth John

Kenneth John

I currently use Firefox as my browser for my desktop and will gladly use it with my old Toshiba laptop running Linux. I'm glad to hear that Linux uses Firefox. Thanks for the feedback.

10. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

I just dug out and old rig that has an AMD X2-3600 or something like that and installed Linux Mint 18.2 Mate on it. This is old hardware from I think (EDIT) 2006.

I dont even know how much ram is in the box (2gb I think) and Mate runs very well. Quicker than Windows 7 does. Plugged in an old Rosewill rnx-g1 wireless adapter (realtek 8187) and it just works... got wifi and installed Linux from the live desktop.

I am giving the box to a neighbor and I think it works just fine. Live it was a tad laggy but once installed it was very snappy. I am impressed.

Blaster3 likes this.
  11. Blaster3

Blaster3

it's great the way linux just works... 'plug-n-play'... no fuss, no muss... on mine, win7 wouldn't allow audio through the older version display port (monitor has speakers), i replaced win7 with linux mint 17.3 and like magic, audio transmitts through the display port... i do not miss windows one eye-oda...

also, libre office works great with all my old exel & word spreadsheets & files...