Broke TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by auen1, Dec 31, 2016.

1. David M

David M Techphile.

2. David M

David M Techphile.

At over $100 bucks per hour, it does not take very long to make a $300 TV not worth repairing.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

Labor rates here are such a high percentage of the cost of the original item, especially for electronics out of China, that many things are not worth repairing.

For example, does it make sense to spend $100 per hour for labor times four hours for an item that originally cost $300?...and now costs even less to replace with a new near equivalent?

The fact that repair labor here is expensive and the cost of labor overseas to build an item is inexpensive has changed the whole dynamics of whether to repair or throw away.

Getting the repair parts for electronics is a whole other issue where repair parts are typically not sold...unlike car parts. Instead, getting repair parts usually means that they must be scavenged off an old equivalent unit. Good luck trying to find an equivalent unit in the first place, then you have to pay the person that scavenged it, pay for shipping and then spend the time installing it or pay someone else to install it.

Unless it is a really expensive piece of electronics, it is probably not worth it. A near equivalent TV that costs roughly around $300 to replace really does not qualify as expensive, comparatively.

After spending the time and money to repair it, one is still left with no warranty either.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. Blaster3

Blaster3

exactly my point, butt in the long run we all spend more money on lower quality goods...

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

ie: my workboots were $200, replace soles $50 every 2-2 1/2 years, using boot dryer they last me several years... now same boots $300 non-replaceable soles... over a 5 year span i now spend $500 when it used to be $433...

balpark 15% higher cost for every item purchased over same time period adds up quickly

6. auen1

auen1

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Insignia isn't too bad, it's Best Buy's house brand.

8. auen1

auen1

Think I'll pass on a $200 48" TV.
    Someone else give it a try?

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

My sister bought a couple Insignia TV's a few years ago and they were okay. I don't think they are as good as Samsung/LG/Vizio, etc. but they are better than the no-name cheap ones you have never heard of. At least Best Buy supports them, you aren't on your own with a company that doesn't have a service presence here.

10. bob

bob

I have three 40" Insignia TV's that run 24/7 for over 3 years with no problems.

Open it up and look for a fuse. It could be that simple. If no fuse then it is trash.

11. auen1

auen1

Thanks bob, it does have a fuse, but its still good.
    Think I have it figured out.
    The LED's failed on me.

12. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

Should be an easy fix following the video. Best thing is just to find a place to disassemble the tv that wont be disturbed until you put it back together. I still have to rip into the LG and get it fixed.

13. auen1

auen1

GF already knocked it over. Little screws all over the place.
    That's what I get for working on it in the living room.
    LOL,
    good advice!

Blaster3 likes this.
  14. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

yep. I'm setting up a table in the basement so I can tear this one down and leave it that way until parts arrive. :D