bootable usb anti-virus

Discussion in 'Software Discussion & Support' started by Mugen_the_lion, May 24, 2011.

1. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

I am looking for an usb based free anti-virus. So I can scan drives without loading into the OS. I did some searching on my own, but wasnt sure what was good or trash.
    Would I still be able to use the flash drive for normal storage? or should I just use a bootable optical disk?

2. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    The best way to do this is to install a Linux distro to a thumb drive. With that, you can install ClamAV and scan your whole computer from a different OS. If you have no experience with Linux, there really isnt much else out there that Im aware of.

3. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

Thats not a bad idea, I need to learn linux anyway. Going that route, I would need a dedicated flash drive. I was looking for a simpler solution, though.

4. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'!

AVG offers a bootable disk that can update itself and then scan the system.

5. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

You can always burn it to CD and just download ClamAV from the repositories once booted. I only use this route if Im in a jam, because you cant save any log files or anything to the CD. I prefer a flash drive because its portable and saves any settings I may change. Ive saved a rather large number of computers over the last 6 months by scanning from within Linux. Each time I did it, I was able to find and delete more stuff than your standard run of the mill Windows AV software. ClamAV runs much faster than any Windows AV Ive used, plus it scans for malware as well as viruses and gets em all in one shot. It usually takes about an hour to do a thorough scan and have all the bad stuff gone.

6. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

7. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

Should I get a dedicated flash drive for this linux install? How big of a drive?

What else should I put on the linux drive?

8. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

Could I do something like this

9. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

You could do that, but Ubuntu 9.04 is no longer supported. With Ubuntu, non-LTS releases are only supported for 18 months. Ubuntu 9.04 hasnt been supported since October 2010. Youll want to use 10.04LTS. LTS releases are the most stable.

10. Mugen_the_lion

Mugen_the_lion

In one flash drive could I have a bootable linux distro and still creat the usb "toolbox" along side of it.