Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Nov 14, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Here we go again, a new "rule" set by a group of folks. After all these years we all heard about cholesterol, they quietly admitted a few years ago they have been wrong all along. But docs still check and prescribe drugs for big pharma but don't tell you how lowering cholesterol causes early dementia as it robs the brain of needed cholesterol. It seems everyone knows their cholesterol level but not their BP, a shame since high blood pressure will kill you in a heartbeat (pardon the pun) . Picture a balloon that you blow up until it pops from too much pressure - that's your heart. Exactly. I aim for much lower numbers than what they are recommending in this "latest study". Mine are around 120/68 because of the 2 meds. My goal is 110/60. I have 6 sets of stitches holding 3 new arteries in place. One little thread comes undone, party over. On another note they recently said they have been wrong about salt all these years raising blood pressure and that you actually need at least a teaspoon a day for overall body function. Unless it's genetics causing your issues, just lose weight, eat right 80/20 and throw in some kind of regular exercise and you'll be fine.

Half of US adults have high blood pressure in new guidelines

2. bob

bob

The meds work. Low salt intake works. Exercise works. Lower weight helps.
    Take your pick because high pressure will slowly kill you.

Something is wrong if you have high pressure. Top number counts, bottom number counts and pulse counts too.

SARGE likes this.
  3. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Bob, right. Picture it - your heart has been its current size since we became adults and prolly a few years before that. And we expect it to keep up with us even when we add too much weight, to keep on pumping the same amount of blood to keep us alive as it works even harder to do so. It really is pretty forgiving but someday says to heck with it and turns out the lights...

4. edfair

edfair

The engine stays good Sarge, it is the fuel system or the ignition system that screws up, generally fuel system from clogged lines.

Your stitches have long since dissolved and the passages grown together.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. HAL9000

HAL9000

After my weight loss surgery, my blood.pressure dropped quite low, 101/58. Clinic asked if I like salt to which I said yes and they said enjoy. Now I'm 115/75.

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you do need to watch your sodium intake and like salt, get some of this stuff, Walmart carries it:

[​IMG]

7. HAL9000

HAL9000

I was just reading the article Sarge, ya, by comparison, the old numbers used in the US are high. We've always considered 120/80 normal. When I got into the weight loss clinic in January 2016, I was 158/102. They put me on blood pressure meds. I got walking and changing my diet which started dropping the weight and by May, I was off the meds and at 120/80. Resting heart rate back then was 95, now it's 62.

George, I've never tried the salt alternatives, have you? I've heard that some can have an after taste, but haven't tried it for myself and don't know anyone that has.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

9. glc

I use the Salt for Life, it tastes just like regular salt. It's a blend of sea salt and potassium salts. 8.3 oz (235g) is $3.48 US at Walmart. It has 1/4 the sodium as regular salt, and it also helps if you have a potassium deficiency.

10. HAL9000

HAL9000

Some people comment about a metallic bitterness with potassium salt, but being this is a blend, it probably masks it.

11. Bob338

Bob338

Blood pressure and heart rate are both changing values on a regular basis, through the day. Heart is much like a car engine. Runs faster and stronger when needed. My heart rate varies from 60 to as much as 80 under similar conditions but at different times of the day. Same with blood pressure. Not long ago I went in for a skin problem in late afternoon and was shocked when BP was 156/87 where I'm normally about 120/80. Not long after went in for annual checkup and BP was 'normal' and heart rate 60 (lower than usual 78). Got a lesson from both the doctors, both saying the same thing. Really never paid much attention to it before and certainly don't now. Everybody's gotta die of something!

12. HAL9000

HAL9000

What I've been told is that yes, of course it's natural to increase heart rate and NO during activity (numbers I previously posted were all at rest rates), but what really counts is how fast you recover to an at rest rate after that activity. In my exercise routine, I've dropped my recovery time from 45 minutes down to 10 minutes even though my workout weights and cardio workout has increased.

13. edfair

edfair

Have a case of "White coat syndrome" that sends BP up. First reads used to be in the 160s, 2 minutes later 150s, 2 minutes later 140, doc giving flight physicals would stop testing when I hit 130 or less. Now on alpha/beta blocker and the initial spike is into the 130s. Heart doc is now bugging me about pulse rate which slows down to low 50s.

14. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

On a beta blocker? You should already know it slows down your heart rate, the alpha part goes after the blood pressure. I'm on a beta to slow my heart rate and when I told my cardiologist what my trainer was trying to do to me, he flew off the handle, saying the trainer was going to kill me pushing me like that. I ended up with a pacemaker to keep the beta from pushing the rate too low where I got dizzy and almost fainting, etc. It's set at 65. Sounds like you may be a prime candidate for a pacemaker...using the alpha/beta, recognize any of the symptoms below? I sure do and it sucks !!

Side effects of alpha-beta blockers include depression, diarrhea, slow heart rate, and swelling of the legs and feet. Sexual dysfunction, depression, fatigue.

15. David M

David M Techphile.

16. HAL9000

HAL9000

Stupid Auto-Correct on my phone... "Heart Rate and NO".... should be "Heart rate and BP". Are we no longer allowed to edit after a day?

17. glc

12 hours for an edit.

SARGE likes this.
  18. HAL9000

HAL9000

A little bizarre, but whatever.

19. bob

bob

When posts become disputed it is better for someone to just post a simple correction than to change the one that caused others to react.
    Heck I thought NO was some blood pressure term I did not know but was to lazy to look it up. :)

20. Blaster3

Blaster3

what would be an acceptable term for edits... a few minutes, a few hours, a few days or perhaps a lifetime... me thinks half a day is more than enough time, els't whom would 'see' the edit

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM