Bad Flu Shot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Oct 7, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Got my annual shot a week ago and been bad. I never even felt the shot which is unusual for any. A few days later arm started hurting and lost mobility rest of the week, can't raise above stomach level. Putting on a shirt or turning a steering wheel a joke. I finally looked at location of shot since they placed a round band aid on it and it was very high on shoulder. I began showing others including 2 nurses at VA who said "who did that, that's way too high". Reach around with your left hand and touch the bone on your right shoulder, then imagine a shot going in right below it where not much meat. And it should be 2-3 inches lower by standards. I'm not blaming the flu shot itself but the location of injection. That nurse needs more schooling. My right arm is kinda useless right now. A friend says I better hope I don't have SIRVA.

2. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

Bummer. Hope that's feeling better. I'd never heard of SIRVA. One time when I went for the vaccination, the needle did hit bone. She went a little to the side and low I guess, and I saw her moving her hand like she was hefting a heavy dart, and then I felt the tip of the needle hit bone. Very weird sensation but nothing adverse afterwards.

Hope that's feeling better for you soon.

3. bob

bob

Normally I would say "take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning". This time I would go to the doctor and tell them how bad it is and have them find a solution.

4. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Shoulder Pain After Vaccine Injection - SIRVA
    Can Chronic Shoulder Pain Be Caused By a Flu Shot?

"Patients diagnosed with SIRVA may find relief with treatments targeted at controlling the inflammation such as oral medications and cortisone injections.

Rarely is surgery necessary for the treatment of this condition, although the effective treatment of SIRVA can take months for resolution."

I would be taking massive amounts of Ibuprofen if were Sarge.

SARGE likes this.
  5. Blaster3

Blaster3

gotta love it... o_O
    i never get them, seen too many people with complications from the shots, including getting a bad case of the flu... the best cure for the flu is a 24 hour 'bender', by the time you sober up, the virus is dead and gone :D

6. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Yeah, I hear the same stuff about flu shots, seems to be a thing each year but I can't risk it with my goings on. Never a problem before and only reason this time is the "location" of the injection. That could have happened with a tetanus, pneumonia, shingles, whooping cough, etc. injection. You just don't give it immediately below the bone, period. Not much meat there anyway.

7. David M

David M Techphile.

Being a type 2 diabetic, I can't afford to get sick either. Nobody that I know of has died from a flu shot. From all the viruses that go around during flu season, yes, a small number of people have died from those viruses.

Sometimes in life you have to choose between the least worse of two choices.

8. Bob338

Bob338

I've read too much about all the problems connected with shots. Vaccinations, all kinds of flu, pneumonia, and other 'preventatives', and ultimately decided to forgo them ALL. Besides, I'm a coward and scared of needles! I started immunotherapy for terrible allergies 5 years ago and I've had to have two shots a couple of three weeks apart during that time. Got rid of the environmental allergies recently. No more shots, hopefully for the rest of my life. Too many problems connected with them and those problems let a coward like me, escape from the obligation and need to get them. NO MORE SHOTS!!!

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I haven't gotten a flu shot since I got one in the military many years ago that gave me the flu. Haven't had the flu since.

10. Bob338

Bob338

Seems same thing happened to me but truly don't recall. In fact, haven't had a cold in more years than I can count, maybe to the last flu shot 40-50 years ago!

11. cmichael258

cmichael258

Good friend, who is a physician, refuses to get a flu shot due to minor but real risk of Guillain-Barre syndrome.

12. bob

bob

People that often get the flu should get the shots. If getting the flu would be bad for you you should also get them.
    People that may infect others - school, work or travel should get them.
    The rest is just a choice.

13. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Is strange how every year we all know folks who talk about flu shots, and the ones who don't get them are almost proud to say so. Weird to me, like some badge of honor saying I don't get one, lol. I've caught grief from 2 longtime friends who are exactly that, both saying, "see, I've been telling you not to get flu shot". You can't fix stupid and both great friends but close-minded jerks and told them. Go figure that relationship.

14. Blaster3

Blaster3

its simply a choice, some prefer flavored coffee while i prefer regular without sugar nor milk/cream; some wash & wax their cars, i never do; no right/wrong, just a preference...

cmichael258 likes this.
  15. David M

David M Techphile.

Seems selfish not to get one. I see way too many people out in public coughing and hacking away doing their best to spread their virus to others. Last season I had a cashier at the grocery store handling food that was sick as a dog passing her virus to others.

I know people need to work and to get out to do other things, but to what end for the rest of society?

Don't be selfish, get a shot and stay home if you do get sick. Life isn't just about one's own needs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  16. Blaster3

Blaster3

and how do you know she didn't get a flu shot??? i see more sickly people that visit doc every week...

anywho, most people, including doctors, confuse & misdiagnose food poisoning with the flu... very similar symptoms...

SARGE likes this.
  17. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

I have gotten (actually been diagnosed with) the flu once.

the flu shot is a crap shoot. It protects you from one specific strain of the flu and which strain that is is an educated guess by epidemiologists.
    If you get the shot and you get exposed to the same strain of the flu? you are ok.
    If you get the shot and you get exposed to a different strain of the flu? well, that's just too bad.

My B-I-L is a physician and he recommends you must have flu shots if you
    • have pulmonary issues (asthma, COPD etc)
    • are >65 (being laid up immobile in bed increases the likelihood of pneumonia (see bullet point #1)
    • work with/around people covered by the previous bullet points (he requires one for his entire office staff and all the hospitals where he has privileges require it as part of their agreement)
    optional:
    • everyone >6 months old
    the exception is if you have allergies to the vaccine or eggs.

18. David M

David M Techphile.

The flu inoculation is not perfect. It does not cover all strains. But what it does cover you do not want to get nor do you want to spread it to others.

bob likes this.
  19. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

This year's annual flu shot will offer protection against the H1N1 flu virus, in addition to two other influenza viruses that are expected to be in circulation this flu season. A vaccine that protects against four strains of the virus will also be available, as will a high-dose flu vaccine for adults age 65 and older.

Influenza is a respiratory infection that can cause serious complications, particularly to young children, older adults and people with certain medical conditions. Flu shots are the most effective way to prevent influenza and its complications. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone 6 months of age or older be vaccinated annually.
    Flu shot: Your best bet for avoiding influenza

I've been getting the shot pretty much every year...

20. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I frequent a greasy spoon where alot of geezers go everyday, along with their coughing. One next booth over yesterday facing me 6 feet away was coughing into the menu she was holding as I just glared. Another guy sits behind me frequently and I swear he knows when I'm coming whether am or pm. He spends his time coughing while reading newspaper. I got up and moved once carrying my food. And they were sneezing back there so can't escape all those flying germs unless stay home. This place tries to spray Windex or Clorox on the menus throughout the day not just because of the coughing but that people have unsanitary hands. I don't even use a salt or pepper shaker, Tabasco or ketchup unless I place a napkin around then with one hand. I have this visual of people doing things with their hands like even coughing or sneezing or worse, or not washing after restroom using one of the above then I use it barehanded then eat my roll, etc. Call me a germ a phobe but think about it first.