Back-Up Cameras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, May 19, 2017 at 12:02 AM.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I don't know how I ever lived without one to back-up and see what's behind me !! It took a bit to get used to mine on my last 2 Toyota trucks and trust the lines. The cameras always show I have much more room to back-up than what my mirrors do. My mirrors always had me getting out to check the clearance from the parked car or object behind me and I had a mile but seemed so close. These cameras don't lie. When I have to back-up the dinosaur Honda Accord in our driveway, I hate it once a week yet I grew up driving something like that all these years.

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

I've had one for three years now and am still getting used to it.

3. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

It's funny how some seem to readily adopt this technology, because my car (2016 Subaru BRZ) has a backup camera with a large screen and I find that I rarely look at the backup camera and instead do it the old fashioned way.

I think I've glanced at it maybe three or four times in the year and a half I've owned it.

4. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Ditto.... It's almost like the camera gets in the way when you do it the old fashion way.... I check two out of three mirrors....look out the windows....rinse and repeat...Who has time to look at the camera:(

But the camera sure comes in handy when trying to back out of tight spaces.

SARGE likes this.
  5. David M

David M Techphile.

I found it as a supplement to and not a replacement for twisting your head around and actually looking backwards. It's definitely nice to have.

6. Bob338

Bob338

I've had them for several years (2011), but I prefer driving an old car without one. Becomes very confusing to me switching cars and I STILL don't trust it fully. I've 'tapped' the car behind me once or twice when backing into a space, but just barely. They ARE accurate!

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Agreed, it does give one more thing to look at besides the usual looks out the windows, but for me I love it and hate driving galbud's old Honda and having to look in old mirrors alone. The Jeep I rented last year was even more awesome as it had 4 back-up cameras.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

some have audible alerts & visually flash from green to yellow to red when you get too close

quartet-man likes this.
  9. Bob338

Bob338

I backed into a space a short while back, tapped the car behind me and figured I had damaged the 'bumper'. Immediately bailed out to look, and not a mark. I'll not cut it as close in the future but I don't drive that car in town much so I'll stay old fashioned with my favorite 'oldie' that I still baby and still have no body rash on.

10. Blaster3

Blaster3

i recently drove a friends 2015 caddy cts ( a pos imo ) you can't look out the rear window, so using onboard camara is the only way to back up... the side view mirrors suck ( weird shape, small, useless ) so they have bright warning lights in them, alerting you of vehicles in the blind spot ( flash yellow then red ) because there's no way to see anything in them anyways...