Attach USB PC keyboard to phone ?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Smartphones, & Mobile Devices' started by Parangles, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Parangles

Parangles

pcmech site is looking very slick ! Congrats.

Adapters are available -micro male to standard USB female-
    If I connect a normal USB PC keyboard will it work ?
    Need software addition ?
    Touch keyboards on phones are too small and I 'm too old for the 2 thumb input.
    This is a slippery slope I suppose. Be back asking about attaching a 19" monitor.

2. reggie14

reggie14

What phone do you have? Since you're talking about microUSB, I assume some sort of Android phone? If so, yes, a USB keyboard would almost certainly work without any additional software. They've worked on all my Android phones. (Other USB devices, including flash drives, can be a little more hit-or-miss.)

You'll want to make sure you get a USB-OTG (On-the-Go) adapter. Most of them are, but not all of them. Just make sure whatever you pick out says OTG. (some devices seem to work using non-OTG adapters, but getting an OTG adapter is safer).

Blaster3 likes this.
  3. Blaster3

Blaster3

4. auen1

auen1

5. Parangles

Parangles

Phone is BLU Studio G- Android. OK will look at OTG cable vs the $17 Bluetooth keyboard.
    Dont like phones posing as computers but they're here to stay.
    I'm thinking I will keep a keyboard at the workplace , one at home,
    and one in the car,( got a lot of them) so I can deal with typing long messages when I have to.

Thanks !
    PS- pcmech site is very slow - or is that just from my end ?

6. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I use a Logitech bluetooth one on both my laptop and android phone (it can have 3 different devices) . They even make ones that fold up and will fit in your pocket (I haven't gone that route YET)

7. bob

bob

Side issue: can you program a blue tooth speaker in your cell and radio etc. Does the speaker have one address/code that many devices can attach and if so would they all play at once or do they demand a private session.

8. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

9. reggie14

reggie14

The bluetooth route is a good idea. I have a foldable keyboard for my Android tablet, although I don't use it very often.

In general, a bluetooth peripheral can only be attached to a single device at a time. You can often "pair" a bluetooth peripheral to multiple devices, but when you power it on it will look for the preferred device first, then move on to the second, and possibly the third.

Bluetooth 4.2 includes a feature called "multi-point" that allows a single bluetooth peripheral to be connected to two different devices. Some of them are smart enough to switch on-demand (e.g., like when a call comes in on a bluetooth headset connected to two phones). But, for something like a speaker, you'd probably have to manually switch it to the other device by hitting a button (that's what mine do, at least). That's at least better than what you had to do before, which often involved temporarily disabling bluetooth on one device so that the peripheral connects to the other.

10. bob

bob

got it

11. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Delete your cache and cookies, and then make sure you login at forum.pcmech.com, not pcmech.com/forum.

12. bob

bob

Not slow at all for both computers I use. I just did a random search for the whole site and it took under 5 seconds to get results back to 2015.

Must say that a search for "windows" returned just 183 results.

13. Parangles

Parangles

Thanks for the heads up on ensuring the adapter is ' OTG (On-the-Go)' . Bought a pair for 99 cents shipping inc.
    When they get here from China in a month I'll come back and report.

Re slowness of site- it seems Ok now - I think it was just because I didnt realize that the home page design
    has a lot of white space, and so I thought it was loading slowly.

14. auen1

auen1

Glad you got it figured out.

Just wondering why you want wires from your phone to a keyboard and monitor,
    when the options are probably built in to the phone, to do it wireless.

15. Floppyman

Floppyman Administrator Staff Member

We actually upgraded the main page recently and are still tweaking things, so there might be the occasional brief period of slowness.

16. Parangles

Parangles

Did not work - attached the micro to regular USB keyboard with the 99 cent
    China OTC adapter , but no input from the keyboard.
    Disabled the Android keyboard app but was no help. Ah Well !

"Just wondering why you want wires from your phone to a keyboard and monitor,
    when the options are probably built in to the phone, to do it wireless."

Cant afford $73 keyboards- I get $60 a month social security here in Jamaica
    plus earnings from handyman jobs. 80% of the world earns less than US$10 a day.

17. auen1

auen1