Another partition question

Discussion in 'Linux OS and Software Assistance' started by Parangles, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Parangles

Parangles

In brief- I had 14 installed and then did a 'hands off' install of 17,
    and now have the situation you see in the screenshot.
    I guess sda7 is the 14 partition and sda5 is the 17 partition.
    What is the empty /dev/sda1 partiton ? can I delete that and the 14 partition
    after I have transferred the last of the data to the 17 partition via an external USB drive?
    My concern is that sda7 should now only have the old 14 OS and a few text files,
    so why is it showing 72.58Gb ?

Dont want to lose my stuff !
    Thanks lots.
    Screenshot from 2017-04-14 18:49:04.png

2. RJS2

RJS2

I'm not a fan of wiping something without verifying first and prefer not to guess - especially with important data. Review twice or more and wipe once. I personally would 'do' or recommend booting off a _live_ ubuntu cd, for instance, and verifying the data and copying before wiping.

However, it does look like there's something small on the NTFS partition. The 72.58 (sda7) you're questioning is the size of that partition, not what's being used - the column to the right is the space being used.

Slightly off-topic but you could look into merging your free space, which you are preparing to make, which is spread out over the physcial drive, with LVM2 (Logical Volume Manager). Some or most Linux distros offer LVM2 partitioning during the installation.

If the only partition you're concerned about keeping is the new "17" install - I would personally restructure the partition layout of the drive and start over. After backing up important data first!

Good luck!

Edited: In your attached photo, there's only one drive with multiple partitions primary and logical.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. Parangles

Parangles

RJS2-Thanks- I'm going to delete the empty partition and
    expand the sda5 with that 79.14 Gb.
    Re the 72.58(sda7) I was asking how could the partition have so much data
    in it after I had removed all my files leaving only the OS and a few Mbs
    of text files that I left behind. Just curious.... it seemed strange.
    Preciate your help -

4. Parangles

Parangles

I changed my mind and formatted the drive and reinstalled 18.1.
    Know what I have now, and it seems faster too.
    Thanks again.