Advice

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by borbos, Nov 12, 2017.

1. borbos

borbos

Build is in my signature, was wondering if a new video card would be helpful or should I scrap all of this and do a new build? The rig is just beginning to show it's age in some random things.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

What do you use the computer for? What OS are you using? What is your budget?

3. borbos

borbos

World of Warcraft is the current game. RPG games mostly on PC Windows 10. Not sure on the budget is anything worth reusing? Or am I looking at getting a whole new build? General computer stuff I guess Facebook, web surfing and home apps.

4. bob

bob

Look at this link for "World of Warcraft"
    World of Warcraft System Requirements
    Look at the games you may want to play in the future and go from there.
    Seems you have what you need now. A clean reinstall of the OS may speed things up if that is an option.
    I did not look at all the details so wait for other advice.

5. glc

Your CPU is bare minimum and the graphics card does not meet minimum for Warcraft. I'd recommend at the very least, you get a CPU/motherboard/ram/video card upgrade. If you are going to do that, it may make more sense to build a new one and repurpose the old one.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

4 gigs of memory is not considered a lot these days. Check your Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to see what percent of your memory is being used when you have a game open. When your computer has to start accessing your hard drive when your memory is being completely utilized, that can slow things down.

If this is the case then this might be an indicator that you might want to replace your computer with a new one. It may not worth purchasing more DDR2 memory.

7. borbos

borbos

So no value to upgrade anything in the current rig to get a better performing rig? No upgrade to cpu or video card? Just looking for options while I get the $1000.00 for a new computer. At that budget could you give me suggestions on a new computer. I realize prices change and how quickly technology obsolesces. Thank you in advance.

8. David M

David M Techphile.

$1000 will get you a pretty decent gaming computer. This makes a whole lot more sense than sinking that same amount into your old computer. I will let someone else come up with specifics for a build for you.

In my opinion, about every 4 to 5 years gaming computers need to be replaced if you want to be able to play the newer games at decent speeds, (new mobo, RAM, CPU), upgrading an older computer is no longer effective enough.

9. glc

None of these upgrades would be compatible with a new build with the exception of the following video card:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N75TD5-2GI 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card - Newegg.com

However, I think I'd replace it with something more up to date in a new build. It meets both minimum and recommended WoW specs. I'd recommend a current 10-series GeForce now but they seem to have issues with old motherboard bioses.

This CPU upgrade is worth it, it's only 45 bucks:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz OEM CPU SLAWQ EU80569PJ073N

I have one of those in my old XP box with an Asus P5K Pro board. It effortlessly overclocks to 3.4 GHz, but you would need a better cooler than stock to do that. If you don't overclock, just reuse your stock cooler off the E8500. If you reuse the stock cooler, get some thermal compound.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM - Newegg.com

The aftermarket cooler comes with compound.

You can double your ram for 40 bucks - get 2 of these and pull what you already have:

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/4G - Newegg.com

When you are ready to build a new one, come on back for current recommendations. For $200 now, you can do these upgrades and put off the new one for a while.