60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Issues' started by David M, Mar 3, 2017.

1. David M

David M Techphile.

I was writing a rather lengthy private message to a friend here on PC Mech. After 60 minutes, I got a popup that said I could no longer edit my PM.

Why does this even exist? Personally, I think it's ridiculous. Yeah, it kinda ticked me off. I could have started a second PM but I would have lost the continuity of the first PM and therefore it would not have looked right.

Yes, I understand why we have edit time limitations for regular posts. Things could get insanely confusing otherwise. But why apply it to a two-way communication? And why get involved with a private communication in the first place?

Why make rules or have limitations when it is completely unnecessary?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. bob

bob

A quick look at the XenForo software shows that any changes would apply to all forums. That would make it very hard to follow threads if people could keep changing them anytime or day/week they want. What time limit seems reasonable to you?

3. David M

David M Techphile.

For a PM...no time constraint.

But if that rule for Xenforo is true, then I understand.

The fact remains that a regular post can be edited some time after one hour, so it does not appear that regular posts and PM's are limited to the same time constraint.

4. bob

bob

5. David M

David M Techphile.

I will wait for glc or Floppy to weigh in on this. :)

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

afa pm's go, as soon as you leave the screen, and venture off site/close browser and restart, the edit function stops... editing posts anywhere else has a 12 hour time limit...

anywho, i treat pm's much the same as a text, short and to the point... if you must write a novela, do so in 'notes' (linux) or some other word doc, once it's to your liking just copy/paste into a pm...

Petef56 likes this.
  7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I just found the setting - conversations now have a 12 hour edit window to correspond with the edit window in forum posts.

8. Petef56

Petef56

Even though glc seems to have addressed this issue by extending the time limit, for composing PM's or any posts here that involve a lengthy message or long composition time, you might consider using your favorite word processor instead where you can save your work frequently as a precaution to losing it.

Here's my suggestions and what I do:

If composing a reply or new message and the time spent goes past 5 minutes, I will copy all the text, paste it to my word processor, and save it as temp.txt

Then I proceed to complete the message and re-save it every 10 minutes as a precaution. For me saving my work every 10 minutes is standard operating procedure.

When completed, I simply copy & paste back into the forum message editor, overwriting what was already there. If any other problems or time limits prevent me from doing so, I simply start a new reply.

PS: I just did all the above on this reply.

--pete-

9. David M

David M Techphile.

Thanks glc! :)

10. David M

David M Techphile.

That would work as well Pete. The way I write though is to type out my thoughts, hit enter, most of the time re-read what I wrote, think about what I wrote and quite often edit it again.....I sometimes do this multiple times. It's why the vast majority of my posts say "edited". That's just how I roll. :)

auen1 likes this.
  11. Petef56

Petef56

I do the exact same thing. Odd thing is, no matter whether I proof read in the "preview" window I never seem to catch all the mistakes until it's actually posted to the forum. Then I wind up editing 1 or more times. --pete--

auen1 likes this.