Xp -why not ever DX10?

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by AMD, Oct 27, 2008.

1. AMD

AMD

Hey guys,

can anyone explain in detail why DX10 cannot be used in Xp?

ive asked this question on another smaller forum before and got the reply that they completly re-desighned the graphics arctitecture or somethign along the lines of that but WHY?

i realy realy want to go back to Xp,im so fed up with vista but its DX10 thats keeping me there.

atm i only have 1 game thats DX10 which would be crysis and i hardly play it,infact i dont have it installed right now.

im not sure if Brother in arms:Hells highway is DX10 or not?

im just looking for more information to why DX10 is vista only? is it just microsofts way of forcing you to buy vista?

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

This would sum it up....
    Another example:
    SATA hard drives won't work in a 7 year old mobo cause the mobo doesn't have SATA ports. You can work around this issue but not the DX 10...

3. AMD

AMD

i know that :rolleyes: im asking for a reason to why they did redisighn the whole graphics system?

why couldnt they have just kept it the same as Xps but developed DX10 for it?

4. liambl

liambl Folding at home.

I think Microsoft did it because they know very well that they would have no chance with the gaming community if Vista didn't have something that XP didn't. XP and Vista are the same core architecture so there is no reason why DX10 wouldn't work on XP, Microsoft chose not to.

5. faulkner132

faulkner132 Come in Ray...

Same reason that .NET 3 will not work on Windows 2000 and will on XP/Vista. You can argue that 2000 and XP are the 'same' kernel all you want, but realistically we do not know how it works under the hood.
    Keep in mind XP is almost 8 years old, so I would expect to see a lot of newer stuff from MS not supported on XP in the future.

6. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

You will need the October 2008 edition of MaximumPC.

box on pg. 31 is instructive but the real story is the preliminary interview with the high ranking product manager on pg. 34.

Let it be heard : Microsoft botched the job with Vista .
    Among the major - insert descriptive term(s) of choice here - was not porting DX 10 to XP. Yes they know they should have, now.
    And yes, Games for Windows was an expensive boondoggle.

The whole article is worth a read so check out your local library if you don't have a friend who subscribes.

7. not important

not important

Not enabling DX10 in XP forces gamers who want DX10 to purchase Vista.

8. Powertrip

Powertrip

I think it's a simple business decision. I think now that microsoft has the xbox gaming market they don't do anything more than they have to with gaming. Look what they did to Activision's Mechwarrior series or the line of flight simulators. Talk about milking the cow. FSX runs great in xp but no cool direct x 10 features wonder why?