XP - Drive C: has multiple folders named w/long series of numbers and letters

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Petef56, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Petef56

Petef56

I've seen this on quite a few XP computers that have come to my shop for repairs over the past year. On the root of Drive C:, there are one or more folders that are named with a long series of random numbers and letters. One computer I came across today had about 40 or more such folders holding a grand total of about 40 GB of files. Does anyone here know what's going on with these folders and can we simply delete them?

---pete---

2. Petef56

Petef56

Everyone,
    Below is a link to an article that explains the problem I'm taking about and offers a script as a solution. What I'm not sure of is whether this explanation applies to the computer I came across today that had about 40 such folders. In any case, i'm sure that other people here on this forum have a similar problem if they would look at their drive C: folders. ---pete---

Leftover files after .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installation
    Posted by Alex Verboon on August 5th, 2009
    http://www.verboon.info/index.php/2...net-framework-35-service-pack-1-installation/

3. Petef56

Petef56

Everyone,
    Below is another solution for deleting the folders of this topic without using any scripts.
    ---pete---

Source:
    http://www.winvistatips.com/possible-leftover-folder-after-windows-update-t281361p2.html

What you have to do:

- Restart your computer en start in safe mode.

- Login als administrator (some have a password, some not -> youre own
    dissission)

- go to the foldername.

- right click with the mouse on the folder en go to properties.

- then go to the second tab (security)

- give yourself the full permissions.

- then go to the folder and you can delete it.

4. rwest

rwest

I always thought folders wth long file names were folder or files that windows really didn't know what to with or how to sort them. I'm not sure why or how it happens but I think these ifiles/folders are reasigned names by windows and may/maynot still be needed. I think these long file/folder names are a way for windows to distinguish between its current file name it's using and the older file/folder it renamed.

For the most part, I think it's a sign that your OS is starting to get buggered up. Windows is trying to save itself. My best guess,(has always been) is that when I start seeing this.. .I'll usually be reformatting somewhere in the not so distant future.:)

5. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

You forgot to add smiliy faces to indicate that you're kidding;)

I'm sure you clicked on the links that Petef56 posted.

6. Petef56

Petef56

rwest, in the case where many of these folders are suddenly appearing, I agree that a clean install of Windows may be in order. My previous posts offer 1 explaination of what may be happening, but I suspect it's not the only reason this could be happening. Hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this topic.

Thanks for your response.

---pete---

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

There are two ways for random files to show up on your pc.

1) Your security has been breached and someone else owns your computer-> Run Forest Run - call the National Guard and start scanning your pc with every known anti virus software.

or

2) see this link as an example:
    Application installations like dot Net, service packs and Office create these folders.