XBOX Live and Computer... do I use a router?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by SlyGuy12, Dec 21, 2002.

1. SlyGuy12

SlyGuy12

Hi, I need to know if a router would work with an XBOX using XBOX Live..? I figure it would because the XBOX is basically a computer... well it just is.

2. Surge1243

Surge1243 Computer Slave

Yes it should work, although I'm not 100% sure. A router works just fine with my Gamecube and PS2 so I don't see why the Xbox wouldn't work as well.

3. azscary

azscary

It is not necessary to use a router. A simple (and less expensive) network switch should work just fine. If you are DSL/Cable then do not use the connection software that comes with the X-Box as the connection is already made.

4. j009h33rM3

j009h33rM3

... how would IPs be assigned without a router?

5. azscary

azscary

The X-Box does not need to share files with the computer so there is no need to set IP. Set the machines as DHCP and let the ISP assign the IP. I hooked an X-Box up to 2 different setups and one with a simple hub (which is not preferred) and one with a switch. They were both DSL and we just had the DSL connection software make the connection and added the X-Box to the network DHCP enabled and it worked fine. Some ISP's I guess charge for the extra IP but the two I was working with do not.

6. Angry_Chewbacca

Angry_Chewbacca

My friend has a LinkSys router for his comps & xbox and he has no problem... works very well

7. j009h33rM3

j009h33rM3

the key here is some ISP's especially cable providers charge for extra IPs. There is no ISP in my area that offers an additional Ip for free.