WRT54GL hard wired ok but no wireless signal

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by larry38, Jan 5, 2010.

1. larry38

larry38

OK guys, I sure hope someone can help me dig myself out of the hole I apparently am in. Background info - installed new WRT54GL router just before Christmas and used the Linksys firmware. Everything was working great but I needed more signal strength in the opposite side of our house (where my wife will be using her new laptop.) At best I only had 2 bars showing and at times the signal would disappear altogether. After reading I thought I would upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT so I could increase the signal power to 80 mW. I faithfully followed the information on the DD-WRT website including the much touted Peacock thread. Flashing the firmware appears to have gone as it should have but now I don't have any wireless signal but the computer that is hard wired to the router is working as it should. Reviewing the status screen for the router indicates the radio is working (wireless signal) with a signal strength of 79 mW. I have my wifes laptop sitting beside me (I'm on my desktop computer shown in my signature) and the laptop is about 3 ft from the router. Does anyone have any suggestions? If necessary, can I download the Linksys firmware and reflash it back onto my router? I've been working on this for about two days (6 hours in chat with Linksys people until they discovered I was using a third party firmware) and I would really like to get things going. Thanks for reading this long explaination and any help you can suggest.

2. cmillar6

cmillar6

did you do a full 30 second reset after you flashed the firmware?

3. larry38

larry38

yes - actually I did the 30-30-30 reset described in the peacock thread.

4. cmillar6

cmillar6

did you try a different wireless channel?

5. larry38

larry38

No, I've only tried channel 6. I'll change it to channel 1 and see if that makes any difference.

6. larry38

larry38

OK, I switched to channel 1 then rebooted the router in the administration tab but there is no change. Any other ideas? Thanks, by the way, for your help.

7. cmillar6

cmillar6

try channel 11, if that doesn't work I hope you backed up the original Linksys firmware.

8. larry38

larry38

Ok I switched to channel 11 but I still don't have a signal even though the status screen says the radio is on etc. I didn't backup the original Linksys firmware, but shouldn't I be able to download it from the Linksys website and then flash it onto the router?

9. cmillar6

cmillar6

yes, you can download the firmware from the Linksys website. I just purchased a new wireless N linksys WRT160N and was going to flash it with dd-wrt, may hold off now.

10. larry38

larry38

Thanks a lot for help, Cmillar6. I think I will do as you suggested and download the Linksys firmware and flash it on the new router. I had been concerned about the signal strength I got in the other end of my house but this morning when I did have a signal out of the router (DD-WRT firmware) with a 79mW signal still only gave me 2 bars in the other part of the house. I take that to mean that the newer Linksys firmware had increased the power level of their signal. Anyway, I'll start this in the morning and will continue this post as I go along. Thanks again.

11. cmillar6

cmillar6

don't quote me on this but I think linksys firmware defaults to 50mW I live in a large house and I am therefore always looking to better my wireless. I had to get rid of my wrt54g years ago as too many sections of my house had deadspots. For an extra $20 or so you can get a newer linksys router with MIMO technology. This technology even helps older wireless G clients that don't even support MIMO. I just purchased a WRT160N and my laptops get 5 full bars everywhere in the house. My router is in the basement which if you read the suggestions for improving wireless is against the rules. DD-WRT has excellent forums that might be able to help you with your flashing problems.

12. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Linksys firmware locks it at 28mw. Try turning the DD-WRT setting down to 70mw.

13. larry38

larry38

Thanks for your reply, GLC. I've changed the settings to 70 and now to 40 mW with no effect. I wonder if perhaps the radio in the router has failed, although the system information page says the radio is on. I am not sure what it means, but the system information page indicates (in the wireless packet info part) that for received (RX) 0 OK, no error; however for Transmitted (TX) 0 Ok, 81 errors. I just wonder if that means the router has attempted to send out a signal but is getting an internal error message? I also wonder if I have something turned off (during configuration) because the other morning while I was configuring the DD-WRT firmware, the router was transmitting. I have reviewed all settings and nothing stands out to me but I'm really feeling my way along here. Any other ideas or places I might go look?

14. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you installed the firmware using a wireless connection, it's corrupted.

Load the Linksys firmware back on, and if it's still broken RMA the router.

15. larry38

larry38

I loaded the firmware using the hard wired computer. I'll reload the Linksys firmware and report back what I find out.

16. larry38

larry38

OK, here is the situation. I contacted Linksys this morning and after about 30 minutes they discovered I had a third party firmware installed and said they could no longer help because they were not trained in that firmware. They connected me to another external service and I broke down and agreed to a basic service contract good for one year and three contacts covering anything on the computer system (computer, router, printer etc.) I hate to tell you that I could have purchased a new router for less and started fresh, but this way I avoided getting a package from Newegg that would require an explanation to my wife (know what I mean?) Anyway they were able to get me going again. It turned out that although I had tried three different broadcasting channels (1, 6, & 11) when they chose channel 9 everything started working like it should!

Anyway, now all appears good, however I still have a two bar signal in the opposite side of the house (same as when I was using the original Linksys firmware with a 20 mW signal, re: glc above) only now I am broadcasting with 70 mW power. So I guess I need to look into getting a couple of high gain antennas for the router. Does anyone out there have any experience with these, and can you suggest something I can use for my WRT54GL router? I tried a home built corner reflector (http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/) but didn't see an increase in signal strength in the opposite side of the house (yes, I had the antennas oriented in that direction.) So now that I have so much $ invested in this project, I am willing to spend some more if it will help.