Working with Stocks

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by t7riggah, Dec 2, 2005.

1. t7riggah

t7riggah

Hi, my dad wants a computer thats pretty fast and good for his stocks.

He usually has many internet explorer windows up
    Some text editors
    and a big stock program that hogs alot of memory. We are already at 1 gb and it slows down somewhat.

what kind of processor shall i get? a Pentium?

2. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

What kind of budget are you working with?

Have you looked at pre-builts like DELL? Or do you want to build this computer?

:) Cricket

3. rspassey

rspassey ~ Ryan ~

Seems like a dual core might be a valuable investiment if you are doing lots of multitasking like you mentioned.

4. LoC

LoC

aye and maybe 2GB ram and possibly even 4GB. plus a dual monitor setup so he will need a somehwat decent graphics card. (probably want two 17" LCDs that are $215-235 each) (note, i used a stock program to with two monitors it was FANTASTIC!) and either get a 3700+ San Diego or get a dual core. BUT if you get an ASUS board, a cheap one that is around $80 you can easily replace it for a better dual core in the future when, if there aren't any, dual core utilizing stock watch programs are common.

5. rspassey

rspassey ~ Ryan ~

Trust me, do NOT spend money on 4gb RAM at this moment. Two more than enough for most people including heavy gamers like myself. 2gb RAM will be suitable for a build like yours.

6. xdkimx

xdkimx

high budget:

gpu: 2x 6600gt
    mobo: sli mobo
    monitor: 4x dell 2405
    cpu: dual core intel
    ram: 2gb

lower budget

gpu: 6600gt
    mobo:non sli
    monitor: 2x dell 2005
    cpu: pentium 4 (dono much about intels :p)
    ram: 2gb

i also agree currently 2gb of ram is more than enough on a desktop computer, its most likely the proc thats slowing his computer down, also try to get him at least 2 large monitors or a lcd tv so he has more space to work with when looking at stock charts/graphs

7. rspassey

rspassey ~ Ryan ~

xdkimx - just so you know - you cannot use multi GPU rendering with more than one monitor, and those four in the highbudget out not be redered with SLI. And no need for such a powerful GPU for only viewing IE and stock program - can drop that to something more suitable. We really need a budget to play with.

8. xdkimx

xdkimx

yeah i should of put "high budget" "extremely high budget" lol

really, i thought u could plug up to 4 monitors on dual gpus

9. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

You'd either need a workstation card with quad heads, or a PCI-E card and a PCI card with 2 outputs.

10. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

He definitely doesn't need SLI. I recommend a video card with dual DVI output, and two 19 inch monitors. It would allow for many web sites to be open and it allows for much multitasking.