Wireless Card Different?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by SARGE, Nov 14, 2004.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Currently using Linksys hardwire router. Moving in with gal bud and would be easier to go wireless. She already has DSL but no router. Do we have to change ethernet cards for a wireless router or use what we've got?

2. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

other than the obvious (you need a wireless NIC to attach wirelessly to a router with built in wireless), if you're going to hardwire to a wireless capable router, no changes needed.

congrats to you and your lady friend.

3. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Never seen a wireless setup so was confused. No way I was go to take apart her Dell and install a different NIC. So just use existing NIC with cord that plugs into the router doo-hickey?

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you want to connect her with a cable and connect yours wireless, all you need is a wireless card for your computer. Wireless routers have switch ports too. You can also keep your router and just plug a standalone wireless access point into it - such as a Linksys WAP11 or WAP54G. If you are really lazy, you can use a USB wireless adapter instead of PCI. I would recommend that you run at least one of the computers wired, whichever is most convenient to the modem.

5. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Got a Netgear with USB for my end. Got hers setup with the Netgear but guess all her bloated software from SBC Yahoo keeps overiding. Got her user name and pw in the router so can access the router. Won't connect to the Net though. Hope I don't have to uninstall a bunch of her stuff to make this work. Right now her connection unplugged and I'm using my Linksy's with her name and PW in it from another room.

6. glc

Okay - let's review.

Are you using a wireless router, or your old Linksys with a wireless access point connected to it? Brands and models, please.

You are using a wireless Netgear USB adapter on your computer, correct?

You are not trying to connect her wireless also, correct?

What versions of Windows are we dealing with here?

You both have wired network adapters available, whether they are in use or not, correct?

What model DSL modem are we dealing with?

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Not using my Linksy's. Got a Netgear WGT624 connected to her 2Wire brand modem (same problem though on my Westell). Not much of a setup CD but can access it and use her name and pw. Haven't even fooled with the USB adapter on mine yet. It asks me which DSL connection to use and she evidently has several from past/present. I just hate screwing with hers but seems something is missing. Tried running the XP wizard and it asks me same questions about which connection to use. Glad I didn't run wire under the apt to use my Linksys at this point. I have her NIC plugged into one of the ports on the Netgear and DSL modem plugged in correctly on other port correctly. Both using XP Home.

8. glc

If she has a 2Wire, you don't need a router - the 2Wire *is* a router, and it has wireless capability. Just put the 2Wire back into her computer direct, and configure your wireless card to connect. With XP, right click on the wireless connection, view available wireless networks, look for a 2WIRExxx SSID, the encryption is 64 bit, the key is on a sticker on the bottom of the 2Wire.

9. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Geez wish I'd known that. Got the Netgear going anyway. BTW, the only # I see on bottom of 2Wire is the S/N and a 10-digit #. Takes 10 for 64-bit, right?

10. glc

Yup - the 10 digit # is a 64 bit WEP key.

If you can return the Netgear, you ought to. You are running 2 layers of NAT now, and this can cause issues.

I believe the 2Wire IP is 172.16.0.254 - or 172.16.0.1 or something along those lines. Its admin is actually pretty simple and it's a quite capable router with firewall options.

11. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Used the 2Wire and works but slow. Got the Netgear for $39 refurbished, knocked off $10 and charged $10 for 5 year warranty.

Attached Files:

12. glc

Hmm - if you are going to use the Netgear, you might want to pull the 2Wire and use your Westell in bridge mode. It *is* a much better modem.

13. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Not sure what "bridge mode" means but will certainly use the Westell. Thanks, old buddy. :) Having 2 bedrooms do present a problem and would much rather do some crawling (we're on bottom floor) and run some CAT 5 and use my Linksy's but will dance with who brung us. Still got the itch to drill a few holes though.

14. glc

Bridge mode means it's just a modem - a PPPoE client or a router is required. Some Westells have a PPPoE and router function built in - if yours does, disable it.