Windows Media Player is killing me......

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by artushka24, Oct 14, 2006.

1. artushka24

artushka24

:) I've always watched an international tv website that you have to pay for to get a license for a month or so. On my second (old) comp it worked fine. I would click on the link on the site and then it would take me to the "Purchase license" screen and so on and then it would play fine. Now I switched to using my new computer and I have Windows Media 10 installed on that as well. When I click on the link it pops up a screen stating that my security settings need to be updated and to go ahead with the update I should click yes. That's what I did and all that did was give me an error screen and asked me to send an error report and it's endless. I then checked Microsoft for support, but no help. It won't let me restore from my licenses and says one or more are corrupt so I deleted all of them and cleared the hidden DVM folder in windows. Then I followed their link to update security settings and it did that. Now I'm able to get to the screen where the site actually makes me pay for the license but I get an error and "Media player needs to shut down". Darn! I've checked all of the folders and they are identical to those of my old comp and there it works flawlessly. Please help me.

2. David M

David M Techphile.

Go back to the old version? I am not certain this is possible but there are websites with old versions of software. Quite often with software, newer is not better.

3. artushka24

artushka24

My old comp has version 10 and it works flawlessly. I've tried version 9 on the new comp and still the same problem. I'm stumped!

4. chuck4456

chuck4456

What other types of media software do you have installed?

5. silentbobdrummer

silentbobdrummer

I would go with Media Player 6.4. It loads quickly and haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure you have the latest codecs for it.

6. artushka24

artushka24

I don't have any other types of media players installed.