Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by trulad, Mar 6, 2012.

1. trulad

trulad

Ok, suppose I download the Win.8 Beta on my spare computer. If I like it and want to keep it, what happens when it is released? Will I then have to buy the key? I'm sure there's "no free lunch".

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If it's anything like in the past, you will have to wipe it and reinstall.

3. trulad

trulad

Thanks. GLC. I just wanted to play with it. Frankly, I'm happy with Win 7 for my main computer so it would have to be really great to get me to switch.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you just want to play with it, go for it! Be prepared to wipe whatever computer you put it on after the formal release.

5. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

"IF" you register to become a BETA Tester AND report a bug - often times MS sends you a free final release dvd:eek:

6. Kenneth John

Kenneth John

How do you become a beta tester?

Is it difficult to become a beta tester? From what I have seen of Windows 8 I really LIKE what I see and am already getting eager to try it out.

7. rwest

rwest

I think its usually offered on the download page. Pretty sure that's where I've seen it.

8. Petef56

Petef56

I'm currently testing Win 8 Consumer Preview and in short, if you didn't like the changes from XP to Vista/Win7, on a desktop PC using mouse and keyboard, you will not like Win8 because the user interface is designed more for portable devices with a touch screen.

Yes, there is a traditional DESKTOP user interface, but it's not a simple matter of selecting it and being able to operate as usual. The START menu is gone! You will struggle just to figure out how the shut down the computer. In fact, you need to be clarvoyant, or very lucky by experimenting to figure out how to operate Win8 because they've eliminated many of the visual cues that most people need to operate the system. It's the worse Windows user interface I've ever seen when trying to use the DESKTOP UI with a mouse & keyboard. In fact you can't even close an application by "X' ing" out anymore. EDIT: Correction, only some apps you can't X out. Not sure what the determining factors are yet.

On the other hand, for people that like tablet computers and smart phones, the METRO UI may suit them. For me, the Metro UI is more like going on the tour bus as opposed to being free to travel anywhere you like. It's the AOL model of computing aimed at novice users who will be satisfied to use the features hand picked & setup by Microsoft.

Ex-Microsoft Employee Launches 'Fixing Windows 8' Campaign | PCWorld

Bottom line, Win8 will not be greatly accepted by the business world and traditional desktop/mouse/keyboard users. With win8, Microsoft seems intent on abandoning that portion of their customers which might be due to the recent dramatic drop in sales of desktop PC in favor of portable devices such as tablets and smart phones. 2012 might be a good time to buy a new desktop PC with Win7 and also sell your MS stock!

---pete---

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

Microsoft Connect was launched in July 2005. Since then millions of users have joined the site to improve the quality and impact the direction of future releases of Microsoft products by providing their feedback.
    Microsoft Connect

10. David M

David M Techphile.

It seems that Windows 8 is not a replacement for Windows 7 but an OS intended for small touchscreen devices only.

Perhaps the name was a bad idea and instead it should be called Windows Small Form Factor, Windows Touchscreen or something similar?

This will not be the first time that Microsoft did not see the forest through the trees.

11. jdeb

jdeb

It is a full blown desktop replacement.

It features a new Metro-style interface that is designed for touchscreen, mouse, keyboard, and pen inputs. They will have total integration with their phone like Apple does... day late and a dollar short.
    It will add support for the ARM processor architecture in addition to the previously supported x86 microprocessors from Intel and AMD.

Its server counterpart is codenamed Windows Server 8.

The consumer preview is the most stable and efficient (smoothness and speed) that I have ever experienced with a Microsoft product. With that being said, it is like having a smart phone interface on your desktop and I am not into that at all. According to Developers and Microsoft, this is what people are asking for and everyone is going to get it whether they like it or not. If it were me (I pleaded my case), I would offer it is an install option.

Who would have ever thought that a phone OS would have such an influence on desktops.

12. Petef56

Petef56

I believe it's all about the money/sales. Since the sale of desktop computers declined dramatically in 2011 and speculation that the desktop computer is a dieing breed, Microsoft clearly seems to be going in that same direction by abandoning support for the desktop format in favor of a UI more suited for portable devices.

Although I don't buy into the notion that the desktop computer is dead, Win8 sure seems to indicate that MS is going in that direction. For me and the way I use a computer, the Metro UI is useless and now using the Desktop UI in Win8 is like a giant step backwards and unsuitable.

What gets me the most is how MS is changing the UI eliminating the visual ques and it's almost like you need to be clarvoyant to know how to operate it. I'm talkng about things like the how "corners" of the screen function, or the "Show Desktop" at the end of the taskbar, etc.. It's becoming most NON-intuitive.

---pete---

13. jdeb

jdeb

I agree 100% but it is going to be shoved down our throat. Because it is MS, people will adapt no matter what.

14. Extremerc12

Extremerc12

Maybe the everyday users of the existing systems will boycott Win 8 (I can only hope something like this will happen. I am talking something more than the Fix Windows 8 Strategy). I for one think the phone OS on a SMARTPHONE is just okay. There is nothing spectacular about it by any stretch of the imagination. If the OS is that difficult for the average user to operate, how does MS think its going to work out for them? I guess it is comforting to hear that Stardock is working on a new iteration for Win 8 to make it look more traditional.

15. David M

David M Techphile.

It's not a replacement for Windows 7 on a desktop. It's an OS for portable touchscreen computers.

It is not being presented completely accurately by Microsoft who of course wants everyone to buy Windows 8 regardless of what you already have,

Microsoft seems to come out with a new OS every two years or so whether or not it is really needed. You can bet there will be OS 9 in 2014 or 2015. Any bets on whether OS8 or OS9 will be the OS that is horrible?...like Vista and Me were? The trend seems to be every other to every third OS that is a real turkey. I will wait and see.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  16. acr98disc

acr98disc

I saw an article where they said there will be a new OS every 3 years or so.
    It was not an official statement, though...

17. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

It's not too bad so far.
    I added the start menu back to mine and finally found a vid driver that works.
    It sure seems quicker than W7.
    Even though it's a preview I'm trying to get it set up like W7 for a side by side comparison.
    I am using 2 comps that are twins (exactly the same) except the OS.

18. jdeb

jdeb

I did notice the WEI, Windows experience index tops out at 9.9. I also noticed that some of the snapins are not working correctly. Overall, it is smooth and responsive.

19. renowilliams

renowilliams

I have ran the consumer preview and tend to agree with the comments made already. I think they will need to rethink the removal of the start menu as this does make things very difficult. I was able to put it back,but it does not completley fuction. They should make the metro screen an option during install. For those of you who aren't aware,you can toggle between the desktop and metro by using the windows key. I was unable to locate the search fuction as the start menu was gone. I did find that you can just start typing on the metro screen and you can locate the calculator.....lol.
    I did find the os to be quick and I like the detailed task manager.
    Also, there is apparently a way to run it as a live os from a flash drive. I found a youtube video explaining how. Microsoft,is going to make this possible as part of the server versions according to some reading I've done.

20. Petef56

Petef56

Right! If MS was smart, they'd ask the user a few simple questions at installation to determine whether they prefer "eye candy" or performance, classic UI or New UI, mouse & KB or touchscreen, etc. Then it would install Windows with the configuration and user setting that would make the customer most happy.

---pete---