win95 setup woes----

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by eshort, May 21, 2002.

1. eshort

eshort

IBM thinpad notebook 760L (P75/32 ram)

When doing the setup hardware detection, about 20 seconds into the process, the screen turns blank black with a white verticakl band up the rightside of the screen--and--the whole setup process halts with no error message/code....

suggestions.. cause???

tx

ps--ran setuplog.txt....

in the section entitled "detection"..line 3 reads:

ValidateDrive()ERROR:problem accessing path:A:\*.* (Ldid=0 Flags=0)

does this mean the flopy disdc is bad/the fdd is not properly reading the disc???

interestingly-the setup does not ask me for a windows id#..i noted this number was in the setup log already!--maybe this has something to do with the failed hardware detection phase??????

PS--the self diagnostics in the comput indicate no probs with any component (ie-fdd/hdd/video, memory, systemboard etc).

Last edited: May 21, 2002
  2. eshort

eshort

PS--

tried another floppy set/ using only external monitor, changing RAM, changing fdd>>>>>no help...same syndrome!

even tried to get external bakpak cdrom going thru parelel port, using win98 setup disc( made on other notebook when I installed win98 using the bakpak cdrom)...didnt work...get message "no cd device found".

does this sound like a problem with the thinkpad's video adapter?

3. FZWG

FZWG

eshort,

Have you tried posting your troubles in an ThinkPad forum?

A while back I also had several serious ThinkPad problems with a 760, and got them solved with the assitance offered on these ThinkPad specific forums.

Can't remember the actual sites, but started out doing a search for the forums and found enough help to get the notebook up and running.

Might want to give it a whirl.

4. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Resident AMD enthusiast

I wonder if your floppy drive is bad? I had one die b only reading it's own damaged disks.

In my latest attempt to put Win2k, Wi 98, and Linux onmy PC(whcih I think was cause by bad RAM) whenI got to the 98 section I would get very strange error when I tried to put it on a 2GB partition, with the rest of the HDD lefet blank. IMOHO, it sounds like your HDD is the cause of troubles.

Logan