Win 98 Install--help please

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by inflames988, Nov 28, 2003.

1. inflames988

inflames988

I just got a used computer which i thought had an OS on it, but does not. I am trying to install windows 98 but when i go to install it, it says i have no hard drive or it is not properly working. I DO have a 6GB harddrive in it now, so i replaced that with a working 800MB one, which was a slave from an old computer, i changed the jumper to master and have it hooked up correctly, but the same message comes up. Do i need to somehow format this harddrive, or do something else for it to be recognized?i have tried switching the cables to the hard drive with no luck. Thanks

2. David_Jones

David_Jones

It sounds like it may be a hardware issue, but to check, try this:

1) Boot to DOS from a floppy or the Win98 CD.

Type FDISK and pres Enter at the prompt

Choose the information option (4) if I recall correctly, and see what it says.

If FDISK can see your disk, then it is probably okay.

2) Go into the BIOS and see what it tells you about your primary IDE channel disk.

If either, or both, of these tell you that the disk cannot be found, then I suggest it is probably either the HDDs themselves, or more likely, one of the cables.

If that is the case, try borrowing or buying spare cables to check if that is the cause - also the cheapest place to start.

HTH,

Alan.

3. inflames988

inflames988

Ok---how exactly do i boot to DOS?

4. David_Jones

David_Jones

Just put your Win95 CD in the drive and re-boot that *might* take you to the DOS prompt.

If it does not boot up using the CD (just boots normally), go into the BIOS (press F1 or DEL or something when the computer first boots - its on screen normally) and look for the boot order. I normally set mine to FDD, CD, HDD in that order.

Change it so that the CD appears somewhere *before* the HDD and then try again with the Win95 CD.

That should get you to the DOS prompt (something like D:> depending on what drive letter your CD is).

HTH,

David.

5. inflames988

inflames988

Still need help...

I got the HDD in working, installed win 98 UP TO THE POINT WHERE IT CONFIGURES HARDWARE...It started doing this, then went to restart, and when it restarted and the win 98 screen came up, it had an error reading:

"Windows Protection Error You Need to Restart your computer"
    "CL\Windows\System\vmm32.vxd is missing or unable to load."

UGhhh....so close, and yet so far

6. inflames988

inflames988

failing miserably...

I restarted the computer WITHOUT the win98 cd and it began the hardware installation...kept asking me to insert the win98 cd to install hardware, and i did but then it couldnt find it, i had to keep skipping files/etc. Got the computer running with 98, the icons were huge and color was horrible and it wouldnt let me change it, tried to install linksys WPC11 and WDT11 (Laptop wireless card with pc card adapter, which seemed OK as i installed it with the cd and cancelled when windows asked me to install it BUT now when i go to open the configuration utility for it, it says there is no adapter installed, i am thinking of trying to upgrade a different computer (win95 pentium pro) to 98 to get this wireless network card working, but first i think i am going to start from scratch again on this one

7. David_Jones

David_Jones

If you can start from scratch (FDISK, wipe all partitions, re-create partition(s), format, install Win98) then at least you know you don't have any problems from a previous install.

However, better be sure there is nothing on there that you want, since that will destroy all your data and apps.

David.

8. Hepcat

Hepcat

I had a HD problem a while back. I used google to find the Hard drives site and downloaded the LOW LEVEL FORMAT program. Most HD vendors have such software availabel. You will need to use it in DOS mode so what I did was put it on a seperate floppy then boot with win98 startup floppy. At the propt a> I put the other format disk in and typed in the .exe file. In DOS you will have to enter the complete name (EXample: lowlevel.exe) It formats the HD back to factory specification. After that you will have to fdisk it. WOrked great for me.

9. inflames988

inflames988

Got it working...

I just reinstalled 98 and everything worked--even the wireless card that wasnt working before, thanks for helping me out :D