Will Reboot but Not Cold Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by J.K. Bowman, Mar 8, 2005.

1. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Hello, Gang.. :)

Got a sec? Here's the problem.

I just installed a new hard drive and copy of Windows XP.

It seems I am able to get Windows to launch if before pressing the power-up button I old down a key and run through the screens that arise there. Once Windows is running I can also go through the sequence Start / Restart, and Windows boots up just fine.

However, if I go through the sequence Start / Shutdown and later try to boot windows by just pressing the power-up button I get nothing but a blank screen and a blinking cursor. It'll sit there all night if I let it.

Might anyone have some tips for me on this? How can I get this system to boot by just pressing the power-up button?

Thanks!

2. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

Please post your system spec.. This will help our members to better assit you.

3. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Thanks, Dragon..

Maybe this will help..

4. doubledragon5

Was it runing ok before the new Hd installation?. If so make sure it is set to cable select. Try puting in the other hd and see what happens....What is the brand of Hd you installed. What was the original before the new one...

5. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Hey Dragon.... thanks again..

I believe this is the info on the hard drive..

As per what disc was on it prior, I'm afraid I don't know. All I do know is that origionally it was Win2000. I can, however, report that while trying to load Window's once previously it ran a diagnostic check on the hard drive (two minutes) and in doing so it came back with a report that there were no problems.

Let me also add this. I've learned now what BIOS is - lol... And I've also checked it. I note that on the booting options the Hard Drive is not listed 1st. Should it be?

Thanks.. [​IMG]

Writing to you on the computer I'm working on.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  6. doubledragon5

When booting up I usually have the floopy first hd, second, and cd, third. the only time I would change it is when need to boot form a cd then it would be cd drive first. It shouldn't matter what you have for a boot order. But give it a try and see what happens...

7. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

I may be confused...
    I dont think it would have been the cause but... Why is the "SWAP FILE DISABLED"?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  8. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Hey Dragon, hey fudtone..... thanks, again..

I'm not sure about the 'SWAP FILE' - not really sure what it is. However, I have changed the boot sequence in the BIOS so that it will look for the hard drive first.

If I'm back quickly - it works. If not, I'm prolly hooking up my laptop... lol

9. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Well, I'm back which means it booted cold. However, it did it in an odd way.

Gateway screen ---- Blank Screen / Blinking Cursor (long delay) ---- Gateway Screen ---- Windows (tadaaaa..)

I'm going to try starting from a cold stop several more times.

BTW - I've also found an update for my BIOS on the Gateway site..

Guess I'm going to have to find the right disc before I install that though...

10. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

I dont have XP so I cant send to stright to it but whenever I'm messing with my swap file and disable it my system runs really slow.

11. doubledragon5

I would try puting in another know working HD first... From what I have read disabling the swap file sholdn't cause this problem... I have read on a few other sites just surfing the net. other people had similar problems and it ended up being the hd itself...

12. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Hey again, guys..

Several (difficult) reboots later I'm back.

The sequence now, which seems to be consistent is:

Gateway Screen - Blank Screen (looong delay) - I begin pressing the FKeys, ALT,CTRL,DEL, etc.. or something and then after a while it starts. I'm not sure if the start is due to me messing with the keyboard, or if it's just starting.

Some more info too from the BIOS:

Also, at the exit screen I see I have an option for:

Just thought I'd add these specs in case anyone saw anything wrong with it. Also, should I try this 'Load Optimal Defaults' setting? It seems that would be a good idea, but I'm such a dufus on this I don't wanna take a chance on doing something wrong..

Also, I made a mental note on the hard disc, dragon. I have another I can try later. As per the Swap File I'll see what I can find on the web.

Thanks! [​IMG]

13. doubledragon5

Loading defaults isn't a bad Idea. Give it a try and see what happens.. Never heard of this cold star problem, but there is always a first time.. I will also try to see what I can find...

14. doubledragon5

One thing I did notice in your posting of system specs is this. Are you using broadband connection or a dial up modem. From the looks of it a broadband connection. Right click on My Computer>Properites>Hardware>Device Manager. Click on Network Adapters and disable any device you not using.. Close and reboot see if this changes anything.. Also look to see what the Name of the Hd your using is and go to the manufacturing wedsite and download the diagnostic tool.. Do a complete scan to see if it brings up any error messages..

15. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Yall, rock... [​IMG]

Not there yet, but I have progress. Dragon, the HD was a Quantum Fireball Plus AS. Turns out the company had been bought by Maxtor, but I visited their site and did find a diagnostic too.

HD passed everything on 'Quick Test' but failed on 'Long Test.' [​IMG]

I'll prolly be picking up a new HD tomorrow. If it doesn't work then, I'll just use that as a second when I buy/build a new PC. If I build be looking for a lot more questions. lol

In the meantime it's ALT/CTRL/DELETE at the blank screen on cold boot. Oddly, even with the HD messed up (no matter what it is) pressing ALT/CTRL/DELETE at that moment result in a nice boot everytime.

Cheers!

oh p.s. - got that network adapter thing taken care of too - (double thanks!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  16. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Just an update and one more thanks. - I think I'm fine now.... [​IMG]

I took the Quantum HD out and installed an IBM 76GB Hard Drive that had Win2000 on it. On that I removed Win2000 and installed WinXP, and all seems to be running just fine now.

The only problem is the freakin noise.. lol.. The machine is running fine but this IBM hard drive sounds like gravel on an amp..!

I think I might pick another one up then. If anyone has any suggestions on what might be quiet please lemme know. And once again, thanks. You guys have been great!

17. jeeter2

jeeter2

I hate to point out the obvious but he is trying to run a scsi drive through a ide controller if he wants to use this drive he needs a scsi controller or he needs to get an ide drive.

18. doubledragon5

Where did I not see that? Ya how stupid I looked right past it. Ya get a standard ide hard drive.. Go to newegg.com or a Bestbuy...

19. J.K. Bowman

J.K. Bowman

Hey ya'll.... thanks again.. :)

Here is the drive that I'm looking at.. Samsung 80GB 7200 2MB ATA-133

If that's a mistake, please lemme know. lol

Also, I'm guessing that the 'wrong' drive is the IBM one?

The two involved were:
    1) QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS60.0
    2) IBM DTLA-307075

I'm typing to ya from the IBM one now. I was thinking about using it as a second, but if it's the wrong one I'll just skip it.

Thanks!

20. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

It's a mistake. Samsung makes terrible drives that have spotty reliability at best. Better choices would be Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital.

:) Cricket