Who said AMD's are better gaming systems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HAL9000, May 7, 2004.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000

2. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Wow. That's incredibly stupid. If nothing changes, I guess I will be rethinking my next build, where I was going to use a 64-bit Athlon XP.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I think we need clarification here - it's my impression that there's no such thing as a "64-bit Athlon XP". There's the Athlon XP, and there's the Athlon 64. I wouldn't expect a hard core gamer that is going to buy a PCI Express video card to try to run it on an "old tech" Athlon XP (Barton, T-Bred, Thorton, whatever).

4. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Thanks for the clarification, glc. I guess I scanned the article too quickly and came away with the impression that AMD wasn't going to have PCI Express support for either its 32- or 64-bit processors.

5. HAL9000

HAL9000

Yes... this is true GLC... but forcing one to the 64 bit which is higher on the price scale to begin with, just to get PCI-Express which those cards won't be cheap, to run games that aren't 64 bit yet on 32 bit operating systems... doesn't seem too cost effective for the consumer yet.

6. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

But have you seen the benchmarks for the new class of cards? the X800XT and FX6800 are both great cards, but they both showed huge bottlenecks at the CPU level under certain conditions (wide open with Anti-Aliasing and Shading turned off). That won't be acceptable to a hard-core gamer who will put the money out for a 64bit CPU to overcome that bottleneck. For the hard-core gamer, it's the GPU that's the focus and heart of the system - if the CPU is slowing things down, it's time for a upgrade.

Dave.

7. Jimmy White

Jimmy White

PCI express is still along way away and within this year AMD are releaseing the AMD 64 2800 and others for the same price as the XP. AMD seem to be completely ditching the XP and carrying on with there 64bit processors and also some games in development have 64bit extensions.

Also the people who will be buying the PCI express card when they are released have alot of money to throw around so i dont think upgrading the CPU will be much hasstle and by the time PCI express is main stream AMD 64 will have matured and have overtaken XP (which will be a low end CPU)

8. Propain

Propain

This means that if you are an Athlon XP owner and you want to buy a new graphics card after June/July, you will have to change motherboard and processor too. from article

YES! another good excuse to buy a AMD64 Mobo and CPU !! thanks for the heads up Hal!!

9. TeenPcknowit

TeenPcknowit

Or another excuse to go with the superior pentium 4....

10. Jimmy White

Jimmy White

:rolleyes: fan boy

11. Propain

Propain

hmm lets not go there

12. jimmyrules712

jimmyrules712

think about it, when pci express graphics cards comeo ut, they're going to be very expensive, if someone is going to put htat much money into one, i doubt they'll be running an athlon xp.

13. HAL9000

HAL9000

I dunno... still doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me to put all your eggs into a 64bit basket right now... kinda like dumping a 454 into your hot rod but running only 4 spark plugs in my opinion.

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Resident AMD enthusiast

a 454 with 4 spark plugs? That sounds more like a crippeled engine. The way I see it, putting PCI express on an Athlon XP would be more like a 454 with 4 spark plugs.

I think AMD is more or less keeping their top CPUs with top graphics cards, and not developing a PCI-X chipset for the XP because it would be wasted.

15. imbest123

imbest123 iTroll

I think both 64-bit cpu's and PCI Express should both be used. The way I see it is the faster they release these new technologies the faster people will accomodate to them so that they can be fully utilized.

16. Strider

Strider

Why waste Research & Development on "Old School" technology when it can be better utilized on something better.

17. TwoRails

TwoRails

I don't really see anything shocking there. The XP is now "legacy" stuff. The A64 series is the new line replacement for the XPs as it was intended to be, with the FX series being the top of the line. That's kinda like being shocked that Intel won't do a major renovation on the PIII.

18. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

I wonder if Intel is gonna do something similar. :confused:

19. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Resident AMD enthusiast

I may be wrong, but didn't Intel make a RAMBUS chipset for the P3?

L J

20. TwoRails

TwoRails

I couldn't say... I never paid attention to RAMBUS, so I don't even know when it came out in the CPU timeline. :eek: