What's up With Dell's Slow Delivery of a New PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Petef56, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Petef56

Petef56

In past years, I often recommended Dell for purchase of a new PC because they'd deliver a new custom configured PC within 3 to 5 days, but sometime in the past year that all changed and it now takes them a few weeks to deliver a new custom configured PC. What's up with that?

I tried getting an answer from a Dell sales rep, as to why the long delay, but he never really explained why. I wonder, are they now building them in India and shipping them over? I know in the past when you call to buy a Dell PC you were talking to someone in Texas, but the orders were processed in India, but I assumed that the PC was built and shipped from within the USA.

As a side note, HP is delivering their computer in about 1 week according to my one customers that recently purchased one of their all in one desktop PCs.

---pete---

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. David M

David M Techphile.

Do they have a tracking number yet? Call them back and insist on getting one when it ships. They will know you are anxious to get your computer. I don't know of any other way to prod them along.

3. Petef56

Petef56

David, this delay is not an anomaly, this is now standard procedure for Dell sales. They tell you at the time of originally ordering that delivery will be in about 3 weeks. I've witnessed this twice in the past few months as I assisted other people in ordering a new Dell PC. I'm just wondering what's different at Dell because they used to be so fast with their deliveries.

---pete---

4. David M

David M Techphile.

My guess is that it is a cost savings.

The faster the turn around time, the more it costs them. Its less expensive to do product runs than to customize each and every computer on the same line. Its also cheaper per unit to buy larger lots of parts than smaller lots. Dell works on a pretty thin profit margin because what they produce is a commodity ...factory built computers. If Dell does not keep their prices competitive then consumers go elsewhere, so they have no choice but to do things which cut costs.

It could also be that the computer you ordered has a part which is back ordered and the person on the telephone has no idea which part it is or is not at liberty to tell you which part.

5. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    Ive ordered 6 Dell computers over the last 2 or 3 months, and all of them made it to my door within a week. The most recent was 2 weeks ago, which was received last weekend.

6. Petef56

Petef56

That's interesting, I wonder what's the difference in your order versus the people I've assisted. Are you ordering as "business" or "government" entity?
    Are you customizing each PC or just taking their standard package deal?
    It's possible that you are getting preferential treatment if you are a single entity ordering a high quantity of computers over a short period of time.

All the people I know that ordered and waited 3 weeks were just average home users ordering a single computer.

---pete---

7. Petef56

Petef56

Yeah David, it's hard to say or guess what's happening, but Dell better get back to delivering within 1 week because so many people don't want to be without a computer for 3 weeks and most people I know are only buying a new PC after the old one dies.

When Dell started delivering in 3 weeks, I got this image image in my mind of a factory in India and a ship loaded with Dell PCs headed for the USA. :)

---pete---

8. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    Ive ordered 2 laptops and 4 desktops, both laptops were customized as was one of the desktops. 3 weeks seems like a long time. I was very surprised the laptops got here so fast, seeing as theyre manufactured in China, and upgrades are done Stateside.

9. lacyted

lacyted

Dell being slow

I am really surprised that Dell is taking that long to ship Petef56. They sure didn't used to be so slow. Maybe they are spending their time on acquisitions and being beat out by HP instead of good ol' customer service.

10. Khalil

Khalil 计算机超级技术

Not sure why people keep buying from Dell.. Dell is no longer an American Company, it is mostly a foreign interest, everything they build is built abroad.
    There are many American companies who build systems here in the United States who offer a better product, better warranty and far more future upgrade ability.
    There is probably one in your own town!

11. jdeb

jdeb

That is so true.

12. David M

David M Techphile.

I may be the case that it takes a containership about 12 days (about 6000 nautical miles at about 23-26 knots) to cross the Pacific Ocean from China to Los Angeles. You also need to account for the time to process and create the order, ship schedules and time to truck the product. If Dells are supposedly custom built to your specifications but now in China then three weeks is roughly the amount of time it would take to get it from the factory to your doorstep.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. rwest

rwest

I'm gonna take a stab and guess. I recently worked at a warehouse that received Xerox printers, the prionters came in from over seas and then upgrades were included on as needed basis. The warehouse actually had a department devoted to these upgrades.

I'm guessing that when the order is placed it ships from overseas by freighterliner. Then when it hits a regional warehouse or maybe even local, the options are then added according to the order. This would allow for better productivity at manufacturing and dispersement is customed, but wait time is huge. Just guessing from what I saw at Genco-Xerox. Third party logistics, which is also cheaper.

14. Petef56

Petef56

David, your theory above makes sense and that's what I was thinking may be happening. Let's keep our ears open to see if we can verify this theory. If Dell is indeed building & shipping from over-seas to save on costs, it's going to be bad for Dell in the long run because most people urgently want and need their computers and won't wait 3 weeks for delivery.

---pete---

15. jdeb

jdeb

thus coined the phrase, "slow boat from China":D

16. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

23 to 26 knots ain't exactly a slow boat.

17. Khalil

Khalil 计算机超级技术

LOL it is when the distance between China and LA is 6257 Miles!! :p

18. David M

David M Techphile.

Yup, 26 knots is 30 MPH...water ski speeds.

19. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Could be worse - old merchants are lucky to do 12 to 15 knots. Naval combatant vessels can only do in the 30's.

20. rwest

rwest

I think even the fast response coast guard boats only get near 30mph.