What's The Story??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Oct 24, 2005.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

What's the deal with all these reporters being "live" during a hurricane, showing how the wind is blowing them around and such? If it's such a dangerous situation and folks told to evacuate, then why are they standing out there saying, "look how the wind is blowing me"?

2. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Who knows? Maybe they don't have any other qualifications and they are just hoping that something happens to them that will get them on TV over and over, like being blown into a billboard.

I know that hurricanes have lots of rain and wind, I don't need to see somebody telling me that.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

It sells. Last night, Fox's guy in Key West got blown down, his shoes fell off, and they blew away. For the rest of the night they were showing him slipping around the street in his bare feet.

4. David M

David M Techphile.

The media behave like sheep. If one reports on something then they all flock to do the same thing. Well, one sheep decided it was important to stand out in the wind and rain. All of them might as well be saying "Baaaaaaaah"...that would be just as informative as blabbering away about the wind and rain.

Did you hear about the reporter who was braving the elements and risking her life to bring us this important story from a canoe? Well, two people walked past the canoe in ankle deep water revealing just how brave she was.

5. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

NBC this AM showed just how put on this type of reporting can be - Al Roker looked to be out on a patio or a porch of some sort and got blown over - as the camera zoomed back a bt when they went to help him he was actually three steps from a doorway and safety.

I'm not saying some of those reporters weren't putting their lives on the line - they were - but it is quite easy to manupulate preception from the point of view of the news.

6. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

I think it's funny when these guys are like "OH MY GOSH! The wind is really blowing! and the rain!" all the while they are grabbing onto a pole or something to stay put. Then they talk about how other bystanders were out in it too. Hello!? You shouldn't talk.

I remember with the one of the hurricanes last year (the one that hit around Mobile, AL). On CNN, I think it was Anderson Cooper and his crew were standing in the shelter of a Ramada Inn (the building was blocking the rain and wind). Then they were looking around the corner up at the sign (big one) that was wobbling around. Then the one crew member starts yelling to get back, get back! The cameraman pokes around the corner to see big chunks of sheet metal tearing off and flying towards them. Then finally the whole sign blows down and narrowly misses them.

LOL! are you serious?

7. CaptTuna

CaptTuna

Where were those high profile reporters when Katrina blew a hole in south Louisiana and sunk New Orleans and surrounding areas. If it is relatively safe they are right on it. Category 5 they leave the junior drones.
    Now that the French Quarter is open no one cares about New Orleans or the 45,000 homes that were destroyed.

8. catacon

catacon Chop Chop

Yeah, I love watching those reports. I love it when the weather guy says that the wind is blowing at 45mph and the rain is hard and then they go to a reporter in the field to tell you that the wind is blowing at 45mph and the rain is hard. I wonder how many people think, "Wow, that guy is standing in the rain and wind telling me something I just heard...I have to watch more."

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Or when you see them ducking, stooping, weaving, etc. saying how bad it is, then they hold up their little pocket wind gauge and it's only in the mid 30's - and say there must be something wrong with the instrument.

10. CaptTuna

CaptTuna

Just to add to the "story" go here and look at pictures taken by someone who had to stay.
    I rode out the storm on my boat about 50 miles from where the pictures were taken and I was amazed by the pics.
    This guy worked at a power plant on the ship shannel that flooded the city.

11. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

Lol, then they say oh its blowing about 100mph! Then you have to think, no duh! I can see by the way you are tumbling down the road that its blowing 100mph! Or common sense tells you that hurricanes have strong winds over 100mph. And you wouldn't even need reporters to tell you that.

12. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

I never watch news programs that do that... not interested at all in sensationalism and other assorted forms of stupidity. It's just dumb, I want to hear a short blurb about what's happening and nothing else. No human interest or tragedy stories, no drama about people getting stuck, just the facts for me please

13. Strider

Strider

I just waiting for one of these dumb reporters to get hurt or killed on live TV then I think we would see a change in how a hurricane is reported. But it's interesting in a sick way to see what reporter is going to be the one.:eek:

14. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

It's only a matter of time.

15. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

TV is a visual medium...if all the weather dude (or dudette) did was wave at a greenscreen it would be boring...the blowing wind and rain is an attention getter....