What is MiniNT

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by tacoeater, Feb 15, 2007.

1. tacoeater

tacoeater

Customer brought in her compaq with unmountable boot error
    i go into the recovery console with XP cd and i find:
    1. c:\MiniNT
    2. c:\i386

i was expecting to find 1. C:\windows

Is this hopeless? what is miniNT, how did that get there?
    am i correct in assuming there is no windows to repair?

thanks,
    alan

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Pull the drive and put it on a USB adapter and take a look at it on another machine. It looks to me like maybe all you are seeing is the recovery partition.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  3. tacoeater

tacoeater

Thanks GLC,
    Could not see it on a USB adapter. Thought I would also try to see what the Install of XP would reveal when it got to the part about the partitions.The OS Partition was there but listed as unknown. Also I tried using a Tools CD to restore from the Restore Partition and it failed. Just for fun i started install and deleted the bad partition and recreated it and formatted NTFS then killed the install and turned around and tried to install from the Restore Partition. Did not work. So I zapped all the partitions (and enjoyed it) and installed with a HPCompaq XP Home Cd. Working fine now.
    Much appreciation for all the patient and courteous work you do for us on the forum.
    Alan

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Very efficient way to handle it, as long as there was no data recovery needed or requested.