What folder are pictures viewed online stored in?

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by jjfossey, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jjfossey

jjfossey

What folder on a PC are pictures you view online stored in? For example, when I click on pictures in my flickr photo album to view them, are they cached or stored in a temp folder somewhere on my PC?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

It all depends on what browser you are using.

3. jjfossey

jjfossey

I'm using FF3 and IE7 browsers

I'm using FF3 and IE7 browsers

4. glc

Forgot to ask - what version of Windows?

5. juppy

juppy Professional Cow Tipper

Don't know about FF, but in IE7 (this is in XP) just go to Tools, Internet Options. Then under Browsing History, click Settings, then View Files. That'll bring up the temp directory. If you have trouble finding your file, right click in the open area when the temp directory contents come up and select Arrange By, and then Last Modified. That should put the newest files all at the bottom of the page, so if you go to a site that has a picture you want, load that site then immediately go to the temp directory and it'll be on the bottom. If you go to more sites after that though, your pic/file will get moved up and not so easy to find.

6. jjfossey

jjfossey

I'm using XP.

7. glc

IE7:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\local settings\temporary internet files

They can be opened directly.

FF3:

C:\documents and settings\(your username\local settings\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\a bunch of seemingly random numbers and letters\cache

Those cannot be opened directly, they are encrypted. To attempt to read them:

http://www.mcuniverse.com/View-Firefox-Cache-like-in-IE.1663.0.html

8. juppy

One note on that.....to view them in this manner as opposed to the method I listed above (going through the Internet Options stuff), you'll have to have your file permissions set to "Show hidden files", because the Local Settings folder is hidden by default. Both ways will work though.

9. glc

Correct - I forgot to say that - I always show hidden and system files and show extensions. Old habit from the Win 3.1 days, I want to know exactly what I have.

10. juppy

Yeah, I do too, glc. But I know that I ran across that problem when I *didn't* have it set up that way. Spent a good 5 minutes wondering where the hell that file was, until I did some Googling and found, uh, duh...it's hidden! Felt like a doof, to say the least, so figured I might save him the wondering in case his are still set to hidden. :D