what do you mean shorting out a motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by bonzai, May 3, 2002.

1. bonzai

bonzai

What do you mean by when u say make sure the motherboard isn't being shorted out anywhere when being placed in the case? My motherboard uses studs, which are metal. And I assume that my case is metal. I screw the studs in into the case, then put the motherboard, aligning the holes with the studs, and screw em in with metal screws. Am i shorting out the motherboard like this??

2. pmaddock

pmaddock

You are okay as long as you only use the special screw holes built into the motherboard. My ABIT motherboard had about 14 of these screw holes, which were differentiated by the rest of the motherboard holes by having sort of a steel built in washer (into the motherboard) around the perimeter of each motherboard screw hole. Also, make sure that there are not any extra case studs underneath your motherboard which do not line up with motherboard screw holes. Either remove the extra studs or cover them with electrical tape. These extra non-aligned studs are your potential "shorting out" problem areas. As long as your motherboard is mounted with the case studs that line up exactly with the specific motherboard mounting screw holes, you'll be okay and will not short out your motherboard. Just make sure that you take advantage of all of your special motherboard screw holes, use the motherboard mounting screws that came with your case, and tighten the screws securely (but not tight enough to crack your motherboard). Also, don't forget to use the right I/O spacer in your case, so that your mouse/keyboard/com ports, USB, etc. line up with your motherboard.

PMAD

3. LawyerRon

LawyerRon The Gavel

Quote:
    "I screw the studs in into the case, then put the motherboard, aligning the holes with the studs, and screw em in with metal screws. Am i shorting out the motherboard like this??"

If using the proper hardware, no.

4. Blakhart

Blakhart Banned

Only the holes surrounded by a ring of silver metal should get a metal stud(standoff), every other mobo hole should get a plastic standoff. There may be some holes near each corner of the cpu socket, these are for a plastic cage to support the hsf. Don't bother doing anything with these unless you have the cage.
    Bansai! Bansai!!
    Hatchimandaibutsu!

5. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Hi bonzai,

What you don't want to do is leave a metal standoff on the motherboard mounting tray that doesn't match up with a motherboard mounting hole. If that standoff touches any of the short wires that are soldered to and sticking out the bottom of the motherboard PCB, that will cause a short and your system will not run. In extreme cases it can cause burn damage if arcing occurs...might even kill the motherboard that way.

:) Cricket

6. bonzai

bonzai

doh!! that is exactly what I did. I put in the necessary studs in, but I also put in a few extra ones even when it didn't align with the motherboard holes, just because I had some extra. I will take them out ASAP. You guys must be laughing at me right now. I am pretty newbie when it comes to building computers becuase I dont know certain priciples, especially when it comes to electric.

7. bonzai

bonzai

are you japanese? I am chinese myself. According to what I recall, bonsai is the japanese mini tree. Bonzai is the japanese suicidal battly cry.