websites that won't let you leave?

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by rmr, Apr 29, 2004.

1. rmr

rmr

Why are some websites designed so you can't get out with 1 click of "back" button.
    How do they do this? And why? Don't they know how annoying this is? Is there any other options for getting out besides rapid hits of "back" button? This isn't just "adult" sites, I've seen it on some reputable cpmpanys, sent them E-mails
    about this and got no reply. Thanks, I needed to vent,
    feel better now :)

2. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

I agree, darned irritating when that happens! (That's the 'cleaned up for PC Mech' version!)

3. ghost2003

ghost2003 Lest we forget

Click the small arrow next to the back button and chose the page you wanna go back too. Mostly it does it since you originaly go on a page that redirects you, doesnt matter if its a reputable website or not.

4. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Nice tip there ghost2003. Thanx!

5. reboot

reboot

I also use the back arrow a LOT. Some sites simply insist on redirecting or refreshing the page twice per second.
    I also use CTRL+ALT+DEL and end task on seriously offending sites, then make it a point to never go back.
    Sending the webmaster an email is pointless. That simply let's them know how effective their stupid code is. They rate the effectiveness of the site by the number of annoyed visitors that email them.

6. mairving

mairving

Yes, even <a href="http://www.nike.com/">some legitimate companies</a> perform this illegitimate act. The back button clicked fast can also get you back. In this case because it has a redirect.

7. WhatsThisBoxFor?

WhatsThisBoxFor? PCMech: Saving Lives

There are even programs which make it worse, the Hello Engines meta-data generator (my version) even adds a refresh and redirect meta tag, its so frustrating having to remove out of every page you add it to. What I hate is when they use about five redirects in a row antlernating between pages. This stops you from clicking back really quickly, and fills up the back menu.

8. mystvearn

mystvearn Anime:Any-may

Yeah, you can do that. Or just press the go button(firefox) select the last ten pages. IE also has this.

PCmech has me glued here :D