Watering Hole suggestion

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Issues' started by Petef56, May 27, 2011.

1. Petef56

Petef56

I am never really aware of which forum I'm in. I typically logon, read New Posts and mainly pay attention to the Titles of the posts. Therefore, if you are going to have a special section such as the Watering Hole with rules that are different from all the other forums, it would be beneficial to have some way to alert members that they are in the special section/forum.

My suggestion is to dramatically change the look and feel of the Watering Hole forum so that members will immediately know they are in a totally different area with special rules. If possible change the colors of the Watering Hole forum to be dramatically different from all the rest.

---pete---

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'll work on that, Pete. We don't have any canned styles that look significantly different than the forum default right now.

3. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

I always use the "Mark Forum Read" link as I'm leaving. Then when I come back to the main forum page I can see at a glance where new posts are.

4. drisley

drisley PCMech Founder

I don't think we'll go so far as to have a different design in here than the usual PCMech one, but I think a link to the rules when inside this forum might be a good idea.

Would that suffice for you guys? A clear link - highlighted - at the top.

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Anything that differentiates the Watering Hole from the rest is good. This will help reduce the chance of accidentally posting inappropriate material to the wrong forum.

6. Petef56

Petef56

Making special rules more accessible might help. I'm still not aware of what those special rules are or even where to find them. However, a link at the top is not going to be very effective for all the times people use New Posts and access the thread via the Last Post link. That was my main point. I'm often finding myself in the Watering Hole without realizing I'm in a special area with different rules.

That's why I was thinking that a simple color change would do the trick. It could be very subtle without being gaudy. For example, instead of a light blue background, the Watering Hole could have a light gray background and that very slight change in tone would be enough to alert members that they are suddenly in the special area with different rules.

---pete---

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

8. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Couldn't the colours be just made different?

9. Petef56

Petef56

Ok, thank you, I just read them and I understand them. Good rules.

Now you have to ask yourself, how could petef56 NOT have seen that sticky post when he's been posting in the Watering Hole for the past few weeks?

Answer: Petef56 never entered the Watering Hole forum from the direction where Stick Posts are displayed. Petef56 is entering from the New Posts direction, directly into a message thread and very often at the Last Post of a thread.

Actually, the above is true of all the forums. I rarely ever come across the sticky posts.
    I know where & how to find them but I typically do not see them.

---pete---

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  10. drisley

drisley PCMech Founder

I'll see what I can do, guys. I have an idea. :)