Watercooling Components

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Roza, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Roza

Roza

Hi

I'm helping my friend upgrade is current air cooled computer to a water-cooled one, however we are both new to water-cooling and not quite sure about which components to use.

The current setup is:
    2x Asus Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    1x Intel i7 950
    1x Corsair 1200W

If you know of any good components or things I should be aware off please let me know :D

Best Regards Roza

2. jdeb

jdeb

3. David M

David M Techphile.

Which components do you want to cool?

If all you want to do is to cool the CPU then I would take this route....
    Corsair Hydro Series CPU Coolers
    Unlike traditional watercooling systems, the chance of these closed loop systems leaking is pretty minimal since you never even disconnect a hose. The hoses are connected at the factory and the system never needs maintenance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. Roza

Roza

Hi
    Thank you the replies and the link to the water cooling guide :)

I was planning on cooling my CPU(i7 950, and both GPUs (2xAsus Radeon HD 5970 2GB)

I am mostly wondering about which components I should use in order to cool down my GPUs and CPU (GPU being the biggest problem). There`s a lot of different sites with different material and components for water-cooling, does anyone know what components I will need in order to build a proper water cooling system and what components / manufacturers I should avoid?

Best Regards Roza

5. jdeb

jdeb

That link I provided you is the best and most current I could find. As far as my experience with it in general, I have only installed closed loop systems such as the corsair models.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

Cooling blocks for CPU's are easy to come by and relatively inexpensive. Cooling blocks for GPU's are rarer and more expensive since there are a LOT more configurations for graphics cards than CPU's. GPU cooling blocks are also larger and pricier since they also have to cool the video RAM. Feel lucky if you get more than a 10% gain out of liquid cooling a graphics card. It may be more cost effective to put that same money towards a faster air cooled graphics card or to add an aftermarket air cooler to your existing card.

Look in the Koolance and Dangerden websites for GPU cooling blocks.

Call Dangerden and Koolance tech support if you have questions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011