Vista or XP

Discussion in 'Software Discussion & Support' started by systempat, Jul 20, 2007.

1. systempat

systempat

If you're doing a new build or a major upgrade now, are you installing Vista or XP ? I see where most of the vendors have gone to offering systems with XP as an option, due to popular demand.
    I would only go to Vista on a brand new build and even then I'm not too sure. I have gotten pretty comfortaple with XP Home for what I do. With all the service packs and patches of course.

Pat in Phoenix
    Doing a raindance

2. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

For family members that I've ordered Dells for, I recommend XP. I'm used to it and can solve most of the problems that can come up with it.

For my next system, or an older system that will be brought back online in a few weeks, I'll go with Vista since I can get a decent discount on it.

I'm going to to have to adopt Vista sooner or later, but better sooner so that when my fiancee and parents get new computers, I can troubleshoot Windows problems.

3. systempat

systempat

I thought I'd get more replies on this. If you are buying now, or if you were buying now, which way will you go with the OS?? I haven't seen a compelling reason to go with Vista. I have usually waited about a year on new versions of Windows before I have moved up. The multiple versions of Vista may make for good marketing, but I just find it confusing.:confused:

4. mairving

mairving

I've been running Vista for several months. As long as your machine is beefy enough, i.e. new and you don't have any incompatible apps I really see no good reason to stick with XP. Vista offers some quite nice features. My 2 current favorites are the snipping tool and the search.

5. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Try a forum search. This particular topic has come up a few times already :)

6. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

There weren't more responses because this question, or at least variations of it, has been asked at least a dozen or more times already and some people just skip over the threads.

7. bjb101

bjb101

In my opinion, go with Vista. If your are building a new pc, then it has the power to fun vista fine. you are going to have to switch to it eventually, so do it now. Its great, and its better than XP.

8. David M

David M Techphile.

The gaming benchmarks are finding XP to be faster than Vista..overall. It's not a large margin though.

9. jgis19

jgis19

I dual boot both and don't have a preference,I spend about the same time using both off & on.

10. IonicBond

IonicBond

I use XP at home, vista at work these days. I prefer XP for the time being for the simple reason that I can troubleshoot it much better if need be. I need to spend some more time with Vista to get to know it better.

Until DX10 games (UT3, Crysis etc) come out, I am not considering vista for daily use. My next system upgrade will be around Christmas, so may be then Vista will find a place on my desktop.

11. perkster

perkster

if you are happy with XP and you dont need vista or a 64 bit OS or 4gb ram etc then stick with XP until such time as there are programs and games you want to play that require vista.