1. bailey

bailey

anybody use the at&t uverse tv, internet and phone ?
    looking for any comments on how good it is or how bad it is.
    I am thinking about getting it.
    thank you.

2. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

I don't have it as it is not available in my exact area but I have been to several clients in the area who do have it and they all say they love it. I don't think the picture quality is as good as my Dish Network but that could just be a set up issue or preference at their place so it's hard to say. They all comment on how fast the net is though.
    Me, I'm not a bundler so I probably won't ever actually get it. I have 2 separate internet accounts (Mediacom with AT&T as backup) and my T.V. is on Dish. If my internet goes out my T.V. better work and vise versa.

3. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

I've had Uverse since May of 2010. Previously used Comcast. I was constantly rebooting my router/modem equipment with Comcast but have only had to reboot once with Uverse. I'm getting faster internet for less money and I switched from Verizon to AT&T cell service at the same time. I get one bill for everything and all the services have been great. Overall, I pay about $15 less per month than I paid for all services previously plus I get more channels such as Speed. Speed costs about $30/mo more with Comcast due to the Sports Package you have to sign up for.

4. bailey

bailey

very good, that is what I wanted to hear, it will be installed abt 10:00 am tomarow.
    I feel a lot better about it now,
    thank you

5. mjkovis

mjkovis I don't computer.

I have had Uverse for over 2 years now after switching from Charter Cable. So far, I have not had any type of problems or issues with their services. There was an initial issue with the installation. The tech that installed the service was a rookie and he made a few glaring mistakes in my home. AT&T did send out another tech the following week to fix any problems I had.

Now, my brother on the other hand had a lot of troubles with service. That was mainly due to the fact he was too far away from the main box to receive a good signal. He knew this before it was installed, but tried it.

My parents have Uverse as well and love it. They had some problems with the initial install for their TV service. The problem was on their end in the main box with some connections or equipment. AT&T fixed it and since then, they have no problems.

6. Preston

Preston

I have had U-Verse for over 2 years and have been very happy with it. Service has been rock solid.

On the negative side, if you ever do have to call customer service, it is a horrible experience. :mad:

Also, make sure things are working perfectly before the installer leaves (save you some time later). Run a quick speed test, set up a recording, try and play a recording from another room, etc. If you have the choice between wired and wireless STBs, go with the wired.

If you haven't been there already, this is a good U-Verse site: U-Verse Users

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. bailey

bailey

I was starting to wonder, they started at 9:00 am and did not finish till 6:30 pm, I didn't think it would be a all day job getting it working.

so far I am happy with it

8. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

I applied for an installer job (premises tech) with AT&T and they offered me the job. Before I accepted I did some research and found that the average install takes 6 hours and they expect you do 2 a day. There were many other issues as well such as 6 day work week which I don't really have a problem with every once in a while but it was every week and is policy. I declined the offer.

9. mjkovis

Ah yes... Failed to mention that. The installations can take a long time. Mine was on a Saturday and it took the poor guy 8-9 hours. Even then, someone had to come back out the following weekend to fix his mistakes and he spent another 3-4 hours at my house doing so.

10. Preston

Preston

Took about 2 hours for mine (and that included a couple of trips to the VRAD by the installer to fix problems there), BUT....

I had every thing pretty much set up for him on the inside when he got here (prewired). There was a several month delay between the time I ordered and the time they installed so I had plenty of time to prep and research.

Glad it's working good for you.

And finally...

I very rarely have had to do this, but many U-Verse problems that come up can be fixed by rebooting (and by rebooting, I mean pulling the power cable) the DVR and/or the RG.

11. rwest

rwest

Same here. U-verse itself is decent. Set up was an all day affair with us too. The tech said that could happen to anyone anywhere. It's mostly comunication though, once they get it, it needs tweaking. some more than others. The tech said its usually either a simple install or its a PITA. The guy went on to say hardly ever does he get one that needs tweaking and then they get it right after just a few attempts.

One thing we've noticed though; is like preston said, calling them is a huge pain. They are helpful; but getting them and then getting the right department takes more time than a long slow train when you're in a hurry.;)

12. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Have it for a few years now and never a hiccup. I also have DirecTv and the picture quality won by DirecTv, especially football games. I switch back and forth during the games to prove it.

13. mjkovis

That is the one downfall. The signal is so compressed that it loses a lot of quality in HD. Still looks good, but compare it side by side to DirectTV or Dish and there is quite a noticeable difference.

14. David M

David M Techphile.

It seems that DirectTV changes the compression depending on what it is broadcasting. I notice the football games are extremely detailed. (uncompressed). Other things they transmit like some reruns of certain shows in HD look more compressed.

U-verse might have bandwidth limitations or think people will never notice higher compression, which saves them bandwidth and therefore money.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. mjkovis

I wouldn't put it past AT&T to save on bandwidth by limiting the quality of video from higher compression one bit. Although, from what I have heard from several techs is that the main factor in limiting the picture quality and signal strength are from the connectors and hardware (not sure if those are the correct technical terms or not) used in the lines. They started using paired wires a while back to help with this, but in some cases it still wasn't a completely successful method.

So in theory, the service should just get better. /fingerscrossed :)

16. bailey

bailey

I did notice that the rf signal strength from the back of the recivers is week, I had to use a vhf amplifier to be able to use a splitter to feed other tv's and still have a clean signal.the entire system had to be wired with cat-5e or rg-6 coax, even the telephones had to be wired with cat-5e to work correctly.

I have two recivers each one includes a dvr, 5 tv's, 6 phones, and 7 computers, and a networked printer.
    sounds like a lot for a single person living all alone.

17. mjkovis

No wonder it took the guy so long. Have to be careful about splitting the coax. Their signal does require a special splitter that can carry the frequency correctly. I am wondering if that is why you had to use the amplifier. Did the tech check that out?

Holy smokes! You really need to get with the times though... Buy a cordless/wireless phone system. Only need one line to the main phone and expandable up to 12 phones in most cases. :D

18. Preston

Preston

I have heard (read on the forums) that many people agree with you about the HD quality of Direct TV.

But when it rains, U-Verse is much better. :D

19. bailey

bailey

I have two wireless phones.
    no I did the split after the tech left, he could not get the second tv working good direct connected, but the tv next to the reciver did work good.

20. mjkovis

Hope you know I was just razzing you a bit. ;)

Interesting. Is it a long distance from the gateway to the 2nd TV?