UTI (Universal Technical Institute)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hi Ho, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

A representative from UTI spoke in one of my classes on Friday. It looked like an interesting and well paying career that I could get by going there. It is automotive repair with manufacturer specific training programs. While I don't like working on my car here in my drive way with a limited selection of tools, I would like working on cars with the proper tools and training.

Now, the presentation was very enticing and made it look easy. I do know, however, that the presentation was very biased (duh...). He said a job is nearly garranteed because of the demand for proffesional auto technicians. Many students get their education paied for by the auto companies. Free "very nice" apartments (not dorms) are offered as well. The school is in Arizona and the programs range from 12-21 months. The starting wages are, on average, around 31,000 a year and can very quickly go up to over $100,000.

That sounds pretty nice doesn't it? There must be a catch. I know there is...

2. TwoRails

TwoRails

No, no cache on the $$ you can make as a "wrench." Don't know a thing about "UTI," though. Yes, getting a job as a wrench is about the easiest thing to do with experience. I've proven it many times on a bet. One example was when I was driving along with somebody and was talking about how easy it is to get a job as an automotive technician and they didn't believe it. They say “prove it” by trying that place and they pointed to an independent garage we were passing. I stopped, went in, and ten minutes later I had a new job. I can give many other examples but the results are all the same.

Like most things, though, you’ll need that first break. Not many good places will hire someone without experience and or with just so few tools they can carry them in with one hand; at least when I was in the biz.

3. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

Well this is more computer stuff than grease monkey work.

4. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

I won't be any help on the tech schools as I'm not familiar with any of them. But I agree with Rails that you will need that first big break to get in the door of a shop then prove yourself.
    I've no training in the automotive field, but I grew up with a wrench in my hand. Just doing work on the family cars and some friends cars since I was about 10. My first car I bought for $125.00 put in a timing chain and sealed up the engine. Years ago I got the chance to work for a small, respected shop where I got one on one OTJ training from a very talented mechanic, welder, racer, fabricator, yada.. yada... That job lead me to where I am today.
    Just be sure that turning wrenches is something you really want to pursue before jumping into to it, I know that if I was still doing repetitive repairs, warranty work and basic service work I'd go nuts. Also tools will be a major investment. As for the computer side it will help if you have a high reading comprehension and it still requires alot of grease monkey work. Mechanical problems can cause computer problems and computer problems can cause mechanical problems.

A few years ago a guy showed up looking for work, he spoke for a few mins with the boss and then they walked out to his car. A short time later my boss returned and I asked him about the guy and here is what he said, "I told him that once he got a bigger tackle box to come back and try again."

5. seanc1930

seanc1930

well im not sure myself but i have a friend that drtopped out of UTI and he seemed as though he wasn't very pleased with the quality of schooling there at all.keep in mind that is a second hand perpective of an opinion.

6. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

Perhaps go to the local garages and ask them what they think of UTI trained people... that'll give you a good perspective