Upgrade to Wireless-N?

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by Kov-Ice, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

Hi all. I've got an AT&T U-verse 2Wire Gateway (3800HGV-B), which has 4 ethernet ports and wireless G. Can I connect a Wireless N router to one of the ethernet ports to improve my signal? And that will give me more ethernet ports to work with (connecting DVRs, etc), correct?

Thx,

2. strollin

strollin

That should work OK but you should disable the wifi on the G router.

3. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Two routers connected together won't work unless one is turned into a switch by disabling the DHCP control internally. Adding an N router will only improve the speeds INSIDE your house, not over the internet. And you'll need N-rated nic's on all your devices. If all you need is to add additional devices, buy a cheap 4 or 5 port switch.

4. Preston

Preston

I have a couple of routers plugged into my U-Verse RG, and it works great. One is for Wireless-N capabilities and the other is just for some extra ports at one of my TVs (using an old Linksys router as a switch for a slingbox connection).

There are two ways you can go. One, use the RG as a "modem" and have your router (the wireless-N router) manage the network.

The second method is letting the RG manage the network and use your wireless-N router as a bridge and wireless access point.

I am using the second method. To do this, connect a LAN port on your U-Verse RG to a LAN (not the WAN) port on your new router. The RG is managing the network and your Wireless-N router is basically acting a switch (and wireless access point).

As the others have said, Disable DHCP on the Wireless-N router and turn off the wireless radio on the RG.

More info:

AT&T U-Verse Router guide (Links at the bottom of the page for each method)

Setting up a Tomato router behind an AT&T 2Wire UVerse Router

Happy Networking! :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

Hey PR. Ya, I just got a USB adapter that's N-capable, and the new laptop we wind up getting will most likely be N as well. Hoping to get a better signal throughout the house...

Preston, that sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do. Thx for the links!

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member