Turns off after 30 secs.

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by dave0314, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dave0314

dave0314

I just built my own PC and it only stays on for around 30secs then turns off by itself. I have a 450W power supply that is set to 110V. I have a see through case so I could see that my CPU fan was running and all the lights were on including the LED in front. Any ideas? :confused:

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Can you give us a full list of the parts you used including makes and models?
    What type of thermal compound did you use on the CPU, paste or pad?

3. dave0314

dave0314

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Processor (Venice) Socket 939
    AMD Socket 939 Processor Motherboard GA-K8N51GMF-9
    2x 512MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    Maxter 200GB (non-sata) HDD <- could that be a problem seeing as my motherboard supports SATA or is it just not utilizing it?

I'm really not too sure about the whole fan/heat sink situation. I didn't put anything inbetween. There's some sort of plastic cusion it looks like over the silver square grid on the heatsink. Do I need to put something extra inbetween? I hope not.. that thing was hard to get on..

4. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

What make and model of power supply are you using and was there a peel off protective coating on the thermal pad on the CPU?

5. dave0314

dave0314

It came with my case, it's a Power Lab 450W. Here's the link http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140518

To tell you the truth I knew next to nothing about heat sinks. There was some clear rubber/plastic over the end of the heat sink where I put it on the CPU. I'm not sure if I was supposed to take that off or not.. I assumed you were supposed to leave it on.. which is what I did.

6. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Hi dave,
    Wecome to PCMech.
    What rj is telling you is that you have a heat problem and if you left the plastic guard in place you have to remove it.
    You should have the heatsink and it's square of thermal compound, no plastic between it and the cpu, so yes you have to go back and take it off.
    You may also need to get a tube of Artic sliver though that will depend on whether or not the thermal compound is now adhering to the palstic.
    If it is don't run the computer till you clean up the heatsink and apply the thermal compound.
    Instructions here : http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Your problem is thermal shutdown - which requires you fix the heatsink as described - but that's a terrible power supply in that case. You aren't going to get a decent 450 watt power supply by itself for 50 bucks, much less a power supply *and* the case. PCI-Express boards require an ATX 2.0 spec power supply, preferably with dual +12v rails or a BIG single rail. Depending on what video card you are using, you need to look at a good replacement to protect your investment. There are VERY few cases out thare that come with a proper power supply for a PCI-E build for under $100.

8. dave0314

dave0314

Any recommendations for the power supply? My motherboard does have a PCIe slot, but I'm not going to try out the embeded one first to see how much lag I have on World of Warcraft.

Where would I buy arctic silver?

Also, I bought a CPU fan seperate because the CPU didn't advertize that it came with one. Should I use the seperate one I bought, or do the ones that come w/ the CPU generally work decently?

9. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Okay we've got a sticky of "good" power supplies here : http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=131195

Don't get less than 450 watts, and remember, ATX 2.0.
    Arctic Silver can be bought at Radio Shack, Newegg, or any of the big box computer stores. I've gotten tubes from CompUSA as well as Newegg.
    But first find out if you're going to need it.
    AMD considers after-market heatsink fans and "other" thermal compounds reason to void the warranty so check.
    With any luck all you have to do is remove the plastic.
    I've no idea how the 6100 on board wideo will hold up in WoW but, like you said, you can always get a video card later.
    With 450 watts or more you should be able to bang in any card you chose.