Time travelers convention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Punked Out Comp, May 4, 2005.

1. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

2. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

why publicize it? if you are traveling back in time, then you already know when it took place.

3. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

I already went to it. It rocked! :D

4. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

Boy I would like to travel, back in time just to undo all the bad stuff I have done over the yrs.

5. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

You wouldnt know it took place if you never heard about it. There are lots of things that have taken place in the past that I am unaware of. I'm sure there were a hundred college parties last month, yet i know nothing about them. If they were publicized I'd be aware they existed.

6. rightcoast

rightcoast

Ahh....but you would find out one day Punked. Then you could go.
    :)

Any time traveler worth their salt will know about this one. Heck it hit front page Slashdot last week. I would love to see this in action. There are quite a few presences online over the years who have made a pretty convincing argument to their authenticity. It won't be hard to separate the scientists having fun/possible TT'ers from the people in spandex and survival blanket pants. Not with the world's greatest minds (unless you ask the Caltech guys) grilling them. Either way, it should be quite a show.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  7. HAL9000

HAL9000

Damn.. musta missed ya... been there twice now.

8. David M

David M Techphile.

I highly recommend it. I go to it as often as I can. I better get my Star Trek uniform pressed and my Spock ears cleaned up. Has anyone seen my pics of my DeLorean?

I still can't figure out if this is parody or some wackjob is serious.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  9. rightcoast

rightcoast

These are the people at MIT who contemplate the validity of the theories. They're serious. Most of them (budding and established physicists) feel in theory it is possible, so why not publicize a convention to draw people from whatever point in the future this can be done.

Even if it's a waste...it's worth a shot. :)

10. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Yes, but if such capability exists, then there also could be laws that prohibit individuals from interacting and messing with the timeline. So, by revealing themselves, it would set in motion a chain of events that would have never happened if that person never revealed themself. Inderesting paradoxial delemma.

If someone brough a cure for a disease from the future to the convention, that could mean it would never be developed through the normal scientific process, thus never made available in the future to bring back through time to the convention..soooo...that cure would never actually be developed and would be bouncing around in the either...? It boggles the mind.

11. rightcoast

rightcoast

FF...I don't pretend to be an expert in this, but I spent far to much time reading about this for a little while. I even emailed and got responses from a few physicists, due to interest peaked by John Titor. (I have since decided it was brilliant, fairly factual fiction. I highly suggest reading his entire BBS saga, it's better than 95% of books I have read.)

The consensus seemed to be that you be unable to change a timeline. I.E: You go back in time to Logan Airport to finger the 9/11 hijackers before they could do the damage. Only traffic, weather, a broken leg...something prevents you from doing so. The universe doing is cosmic "protect the timeline" thing? Nope, just the simple fact it already happened. Anything you did manage to change, would only do so for another timeline (one you did just create). This would be the part where it gets weird. Spawning new futures, but never being able to see them.

They kind of feel you could possibly change something, but nothing you could ever see, as any individual time traveler would be restricted to their timeline or one very closely paralleling it. There is some math involved I don't understand, a lot actually. But, that is it in a nutshell.

You guys may have heard, we have created the first baby step toward making this possible. A controlled (for the most part) black hole.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4357613.stm

12. Jester

Jester

what bok series is that Coast? It sounds interesting.

13. rightcoast

rightcoast

I don't think the original message board postings are still up. I Googled but didn't see them. He appeared on a message board and had a single (very long) thread over the course of a couple months. Then disappeared, no one has heard from him since. If you (or anyone) want to read it, PM me your email and I will send it over. It is a 1 MB TXT file. It's html formatted so just resave it as a .html and open it with a browser.

It really is fascinating stuff. Very detailed if a hoax. He came "supposedly" from a timeline where civil war broke out in the US between 2005-2012. Which obviously isn't happening, the out he is given (by supporters) is that he he was in 1977 and revealed that the Y2K bug would happen. Due to the warning, we were unaffected, but his timeline was thrown into complete civil meltdown in 2000. That is the difference.

To much to explain but well worth a read. One thing worth noting, he predicted Mad cow disease before it happened. I don't know how. He also knew that The IBM 5100 had some sort of programming capability that know one knew of at the time. IBM held that info back because in the 70's that machine was a fraction of the cost of a mainframe. It was the only somewhat portable computer ever capable of doing what he needed it to do (fix the UNIX time bug that will occur in 2039).

I also had a thread on this a few months back if you want to check that out:
    http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=125584

14. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Wow...their time machine modulus is much smaller than I though it would be. Doesn't look too complicated either...I think I could build one myself.

:) Cricket

Attached Files:

15. rightcoast

rightcoast

16. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

I missed this convention. I figure I will wait until next week when I finish my speech, I will travel back and attend.

17. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

Did anyone go to it today?

BTW, John titor wrote a book and its being sold on amazon, in case anyone is interested.
    Doesnt it seem a bit odd how in his thread everyone was pretty much willing to accept what he said, even though most forums would have just considered him a troll.

18. rightcoast

rightcoast

It was odd...

The concenus is that Titor had nothing to do with the book though. One of the three people he felt close enough to to meet in person wrote it a year after he "disappeared". It is a pro-Titor book though.

What was odd is there were a few "who won the Stanley Cup next year" posts at first...but they stopped after a couple days. If a fraud he handled it perfect. I don't think there is much in the book that isnt in the posts. It is just packaged nicer.

19. David M

David M Techphile.

Einstein theorized that to accelerate something to the speed of light that has mass would take infininite energy. This is why only energy can reach the speed of light. To accelerate past the speed of light and therefore to go back in time is impossible. I tend to believe Einstein as his theories have been proven over and over again.

20. HellFish

HellFish

Rightcoast has it right. If you travel back in time to the point AFTER Biff gave the sports almanac to himself, then you will travel forward in time in the ALTERNATE 1985. :p