Thoughts about upgrading my 2009 build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by SmokeytheBear, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SmokeytheBear

SmokeytheBear

Getting the itch to upgrade (downgrade?) my 2009 build listed in my sig.
    Since I built that system my requirements have changed drastically or should I say I am looking at them more realistically. Don't know why I went overboard with the quad core and I got overclocking out of my system.

Biggest change is that I am using a laptop more than the desktop and that quad core and vid card are just turning watts into heat.

My system is now basically an iTunes player, photo slide show and network storage system. Occasionally I will watch Netflix or a show on Xfinity.

So I am thinking about going more simplistic with the following changes:

New MB
    Newegg.com - ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

New CPU
    Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2125 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32125

New RAM
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Hard Drive
    Waiting until the prices come down or maybe a SSD but can get by with current right now.

I would remove the video card, TV card (never used it) and sound card and use the on-board optons.

I have a couple of people interested in the old MB, CPU & RAM package, which will offset the price. Plus I am scratching my itch.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this upgrade?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. SmokeytheBear

SmokeytheBear

GLC, out of curiosity, why not a full size board like either Asus P8Z68-V LX or LE?

4. David M

David M Techphile.

In keeping things simple, you don't need the extra slots or extra features, which saves money.

5. SmokeytheBear

SmokeytheBear

Sounds like a good reason to me. Never used or looked at micro boards before.

Thanks

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The LX or LE would also be fine.

7. SmokeytheBear

SmokeytheBear

Just used the recommended set up to upgrade a friend's computer. He was using a core 2 cpu, 4 sticks of DDR ram 256Mb and an Asus P4P800SE MB.

Installed the i3-2125 and the P8Z68-M Pro MB / Corsair Veng. 8Gb memory suggested by GLC. Easy install and is running great.

Thanks for that help.

Still thinking about mine.