This ad brought to you by purpleflag.net

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by robrpb, Apr 24, 2012.

1. robrpb

robrpb

I have been having a problem with a full page ad popping randomly for different products when I would click on a something on a web page. This just happened when I had PCMECH.com home page opened. I clicked on the tab for forums and a full page ad popped up and at the top of the page in a small bar across the top it said "this ad brought to you by purpleflag.net." When I click on the "X" in the upper right corner of the page the page closes and I am at the place I wanted to be, in this case forums.

I have a computer I that built with a Intel P-4 3.0 GHz processor with 4GB RAM. I am running Windows 7 32 bit Home with all the updates. I am using Google Chrome for my browser. I have started the computer in safe mode without networking and ran Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and did a scan with Microsoft Essentials to no avail. I clicked on the Windows start button and typed in "purpleflag" in the search bar and it said no results found. I looked in the control panel under Programs and Features and did not see purpleflag there. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rob

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Check the popup blocker settings in Chrome.

3. robrpb

robrpb

Popup is set to do not allow. I added it under exceptions to see if that will help. I am still curious where it is coming from and is it on my system. It did it again on this site when I clicked on forums the same way as before except that it didn't have the small banner saying brought to you by purpleflag.net.

4. rjfvillarosa

I installed Chrome today and visited PCMech as a visitor and I didn't see anything like the popup you describe.

5. robrpb

robrpb

It has just started doing this the past several weeks. It did it even when I was logged-in. It doesn't do it all the time. It does it randomly as far as I can tell.

6. rjfvillarosa

I'll have another look and I will speak to Panama Red to see if he can duplicate it, I am located in the UK maybe the same popups don't show here.

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Scan with Malwarebytes.

8. robrpb

robrpb

I just ran Malwarebytes and the scan said zero objects detected. I ran it in safe mode without networking after updating it.

9. David M

David M Techphile.

Try on a different browser to see where the source of the problem might be. I'm not saying to change your browser as a cure.