Thinking No Wires

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by MSIuser, Dec 24, 2002.

1. MSIuser

MSIuser

I'm thinking of getting a wireless network. Wires are just not possible at the minute. As far as I have read all I need to get are the PCI card (for PC) and PC card (for laptop) plug them in, use same settings on both and they should see each other, right? What I'm asking is, is it possible to wireless network without an access point?

Another thing, will I have any problems with it anywhere in my house? I'm looking at communication between a room upstairs and another room almost directly below downstairs.

2. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

wireless networks cards talking directly to each other is called an "ad hoc" wireless network and this technique greatly decreases the range of the network. the best solution is to get an access point. there is a recent thread that talks about this in detail. the thread was started by reboot.

3. Tuf

Tuf

You can sure try it. Adhoc networking is a much shorter range proposition. You of course won't have the features of a switch or a router. It will be slower but depending on the construction of your house and how "dirty the environment is it may work just fine for you.

Connections like this are not very stable and you may have to tinker with it once in awhile. But if you are not looking to make a true network and share internet access you have nothing to lose by trying it.

You won't have all the features available that a network that uses a router will have.

4. MSIuser

MSIuser

I am considering have it set up that the internet connection will be shared by a PC logged into it. Ain't able to get broadband where i am sadly! Doh!

What is the range of ad hoc?

5. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The variables on this are radio output power, antenna sensitivity and operatign environment.

best guess? less than a 100 feet with optimal conditions.

6. Tuf

Tuf

ad hoc in a building? Way less than a 100 feet. If you are going to share an internet connection I would considering using a router/wireless access point it will save you a lot of trouble.

You can try the adhoc setup but be prepared to either buy an access point or run wire. I may be surprised but I doubt you will be happy with trying to do so much with a simple adhoc connection that you may not be able to make or maintain from another room.