The Holy Grail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rjfvillarosa, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

2. rjfvillarosa

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. David M

David M Techphile.

I'm certain it is a pretty cool thing there, but I have to admit I have never even heard of those teams. It's amazing the different sports interests around the world.

4. Karel

Karel

Then again, rugby is a sport for men, not for kevlar padded sissies.....:rolleyes:
    Just kidding.....;)

5. jdeb

jdeb

The thought of men's hairy legs touching my face bothers me a little. :D

6. David M

David M Techphile.

I have heard that argument before. On the other hand it makes no sense to allow elite athletes who get paid millions of dollars each to be allowed to have brain concussions in the name of keeping a machismo image. There are enough brain concussions and other injuries with the helmets and the padding.

Let the lowly gladiators suffer the consequences of having no protection. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  7. rjfvillarosa

David. Rugby is borderline fanaticism here, I live in one of the busiest cities in Western Europe and yesterday during the game the streets were almost deserted with everybody either at the game or watching it on TV.
    I cannot tell you why the six nations championship in Europe is the most popular rugby tournament aside from the world cup but it is, the only other tournament that comes close is the Tri Nations tournament in the Southern Hemisphere.
    The Rugby Championship and Tri Nations - All Blacks, Wallabies, Springboks & Argentina Rugby

I have noticed in other threads that your wife is of East European decent, Czechoslovakian I believe. You should speak to her family in Czechoslovakia. Some of the best games of rugby I ever played in were in a veterans tournament in Europe, when we played teams from Germany, Belgium, France, England and Czechoslovakia. The players and supporters from Prague are among some of the nicest people I have ever met and they take their rugby very seriously.

8. rjfvillarosa

One of the best comments from a non rugby aficionado was from Pam123.

9. David M

David M Techphile.

She is from Romania. When we were visiting her family a few years we happened to be there at a time when Romania was playing in a huge soccer tournament. I think it was the World Cup. The streets were silent.

Superbowl Sunday here is very similar. Most people here are sitting on the couch drinking cheap beer and chowing down junk food. :D

10. rjfvillarosa

My Bad..:eek: saying that I think Romania has a rugby team.

11. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Sheesh! Rugby is the big deal at tournament time? And here I thought the big deal in the British Isles was the Quidditch World Cup. Wasn't there a raucous celebration when Ireland beat Bulgaria a few years back?

(Just kidding, you muggles wouldn't understand!) :D

12. rjfvillarosa

13. Chris in U.K.

Chris in U.K.

Villarosa, you might appreciate this.....

Way back in the 1970s I was a trainee technician at the hospital where JPR Williams was junior doctor. He was a quiet bloke, but with an alarmingly direct 'bedside manner'

One day JPR, still bruised from a match at the weekend, appeared in the ward where I was working and marched up to a nearby bed. The patient gazed at him in awe and JPR says "Well, Mr Smith, it will have to come out, you know"
    The poor man nodded dumbly and mumbled "Anything you say, Doc"

What else can you say to one of the greatest sportsmen the British Isles has ever produced?

Chris

14. rjfvillarosa

Chris.
    You just brought back a rather embarrasing and humbling moment from my past. Back in the 70's JPR was doing his stint in casualty in Cardiff Royal Infirmary. I was rushed in after a particularly bone crunching tackle and after an Xray the great man himself (JPR) told me I had cracked a bone in my knee and dislodged a cartilage. I was informed by JPR that after strapping it all up I was to stay off it for six weeks and hopefully it would heal without the need for surgery to remove the offending pieces of my Knee.
    Alas things don't always go to plan and the following Saturday I tackled a guy who was wearing boots with the now illegal aluminium studs, as usual one or more of his studs had developed the razor sharp edge associated with this type of stud. It sliced my right knee open like a hot knife through butter and guess who was waiting for me like a giant bird of prey in casualty when I arrived?
    His words were (as far as I remember) "oh well!! now you have opened it up for me I might as well take that piece of bone out....."
    Did I get a dressing down from him when I came out of surgery.....:eek:

15. Chris in U.K.

Chris in U.K.

mmmmm, embarassing!

So long as he didn't think you were stalking him!

Chris

16. rjfvillarosa

17. rjfvillarosa

A lot of celebrating, a lot of drinking, a lot of singing and a lot of hangovers this morning.......:D

Official RBS 6 Nations Rugby : Wales hold off France to seal Grand Slam

Only in rugby can the supporters of both teams come together after the game and celebrate together.
    Yesterday afternoon at my local watering hole I found myself stood shoulder to shoulder with five French guys and dozens of Wales supporters, we sang the Welsh national anthem, the French national anthem and loads of national hymns in French and Welsh. Try doing that after a soccer match.....:eek: